• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Supply Pump assy leaks like a sieve

TXMIDGUFFREY

Hey master mechanics.... has anybody ever bypassed the IPs Fuel Supply Pump assy and maybe installed an electric pump?
I've got a bad fuel leak from the mating surface of the 2 parts of the housing. As far as I can figure, to get to that I'm gonna have to either remove the steering column, or the IP, or lift the engine. I really don't want to do any of those.

Ideas?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, I had my injection pump out to put a new one in. While it was out, I decided to install the new steering column, and what a huge pita that was. If your going to work on the IP, I'd pull it so you can sit at a work bench. If its leaking as bad as you say, I doubt you'll find an electric pump to work as well as the gear pump.

The gear pump boosts pressure from 5psi up to almost 70psi.

rustystud

Well, I had my injection pump out to put a new one in. While it was out, I decided to install the new steering column, and what a huge pita that was. If your going to work on the IP, I'd pull it so you can sit at a work bench. If its leaking as bad as you say, I doubt you'll find an electric pump to work as well as the gear pump.

The gear pump boosts pressure from 5psi up to almost 70psi.
Totally agree with Gimpy here. Don't remove the gear pump. Rebuild it. Simple to do. I show how in my injection pump rebuild project. Plus if you decided to remove it you still need to fill the hole. You cannot just bypass the pump. The gear shaft is lubricated by the diesel fuel. So no fuel going in, no lubrication and you get a blown up pump ! Seen it, have it !

TXMIDGUFFREY

Where may I find your IP rebuild project.
I already rebuilt the IP. Just need to get the two halves of the fuel supply pump to mate well. There is no gasket so I'm assuming that the two have to be lapped to mate perfectly. Can you confirm?
Thanks for your knowledge and experience.

rustystud

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks