• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filters or lack thereof and stalling.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes there is circulation and that is with the pressure relief close and not letting any fuel leak past. The in tank pump alone will circulate fuel through the head back to the tank. Maybe you posted before I did?
As I said it's the little hole in the over flow valve that makes it possible with the FDC bypassed.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now for the real kicker would a motor start and idle / run if the fuel filter pressure relief was wide open or removed?
This thread has been looked at 631 times so come on guys lets see you answers. Yes or no nothing going to bite you here if you wrong. Maybe!

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this helps with trouble shooting for me.
"Very low pressure flow" is one thing to make her run and higher pressure is performance.
This is why I have said if you have fuel flow to the head and no start then the problem is in the head most of the time.

Last edited:

DB556

Its alive!

I replaced the stock seconday filters with the Cat 1r-0750 and base, and a plumbed in a adjustable pressure relief valve just like in the stock filter housing.
But after putting on a gauge out of my junk box I found even with the valve closed all the way it was staying open and I was getting 2-3psi since the fuel was just flowing right back to the tank. So I pulled that relief valve and swapped it for a small ball valve and left it cracked a hair to have some return flow.

I pushed the start button and it starts, and runs better now than before the fateful filter 'change' with taking the HH completely part I was halfway expecting the HH to be 180* out. Now I just need to get the new correct gauges, the 0-30 and 0-100psi gauges I ordered on amazon turned out to be 300psi and 5000psi...

Now to get it back up to my house tomorrow to weld up a overhead console and install the radio/backup camera.

rustystud

Its alive!

I replaced the stock seconday filters with the Cat 1r-0750 and base, and a plumbed in a adjustable pressure relief valve just like in the stock filter housing.
But after putting on a gauge out of my junk box I found even with the valve closed all the way it was staying open and I was getting 2-3psi since the fuel was just flowing right back to the tank. So I pulled that relief valve and swapped it for a small ball valve and left it cracked a hair to have some return flow.

I pushed the start button and it starts, and runs better now than before the fateful filter 'change' with taking the HH completely part I was halfway expecting the HH to be 180* out. Now I just need to get the new correct gauges, the 0-30 and 0-100psi gauges I ordered on amazon turned out to be 300psi and 5000psi...

Now to get it back up to my house tomorrow to weld up a overhead console and install the radio/backup camera.
Glad to hear it.

rustystud

@ Rusty......thats what I thought my diagram showed. there is no "constant circulation" back to the tank without the booster pump on the injection pump running and over coming the bypass valve. If the engine is not running/started, and the power is on, the In tank pump is supplying up to 12 psi to the IP, but nothing is circulating back to the tank. the line is just charged. If you had flow back to the tank with the power/ignition switch on, and the engine was not running, the bypass valve would be stuck open, or a broken spring in it.
No, that's not quite right. When I said the fuel meets up at the junction, I was referring to the "T" coming out of the filter housing. The pressure relief valve is "inside" the housing and exits to the ""T" where all the other lines converge. So you will have total circulation of the fuel system with the in-tank pump working. You can verify this by just turning on the "go" switch (without starting the truck) and listening to the fuel return to the fuel tank.

rustystud

Now for the real kicker would a motor start and idle / run if the fuel filter pressure relief was wide open or removed?
This thread has been looked at 631 times so come on guys lets see you answers. Yes or no nothing going to bite you here if you wrong. Maybe!
So how are you proving this ? Have you actually "taken" out the pressure relief valve and seen pressure to the Hydraulic Head ? When I was making my own filter assembly and I removed the pressure relief valve I had "no" pressure to the HH.
Did you have "gauges" on the engine verifying this phenomenon ? If like I said, the fuel pressure relief was so clogged as to stick wide open then there is no way fuel will be going to the Hydraulic Head.
I await your "proof" on this with baited breath.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If like I said, the fuel pressure relief was so clogged as to stick wide open then there is no way fuel will be going to the Hydraulic Head.
I await your "proof" on this with baited breath.
How bout this I bet you five thousand dollars I can remove the fuel pressure relief valve from my truck and it will start and sit there and Idle just fine. Now the money goes paid to USAFSS Coldwarrior our chaplain care of the Ron Harris fund going to his wife. Now since you say you were forced to retire and have plenty of money it should not be a problem. Now I have never lied about anything to anyone on Steel Soldiers. Hope you can say the same. But since you ask for "proof" all truth's are going to come out and we can settle our differences once and for all on this thread.

Last edited:

rustystud

How bout this I bet you five thousand dollars I can remove the fuel pressure relief valve from my truck and it will start and sit there and Idle just fine. Now the money goes paid to USAFSS Coldwarrior our chaplain care of the Ron Harris fund going to his wife. Now since you say you were forced to retire and have plenty of money it should not be a problem. Now I have never lied about anything to anyone on Steel Soldiers. Hope you can say the same. But since you ask for "proof" all truth's are going to come out and we can settle our differences once and for all on this thread.
I would need someone I trusted there to verify it. Lets face it, your not the most "impartial" individual when it comes to anything I say. I believe you would do almost anything to try and prove me wrong especially since it was I who solved that HH problem after you argued with me for days saying I was wrong. Then "AKM" did what I said and it worked. Then it was you who went to the moderators and had me banned. So like I said I would need someone I truly trusted there.

Yes I can truthfully say I've never lied to anyone on this site. I've might have been wrong about a thing or two (which I've freely admitted to unlike others here) but I have never knowingly lied to anyone.

Last edited:

rustystud

Now there must be ground rules for this bet. Since we where originally talking about this "none" running truck, your truck must be none running for a week. Also there must not be any "residual" pressure in the "Hydraulic Head". My truck will start on the first turn of the switch. That is just using the residual pressure in the HH. So all pressure must be released in the system. Then the relief valve must be removed and the plug reinstalled. With gauges in place to verify the pressure you will try and start your truck. No starter fluid is allowed.
You know as well as I do that the booster pump will increase the pressure enough to help a truck idle once it is started. Even with a malfunctioning relief valve. The question is , is the in-tank pump enough to get the truck to start initially. So again no residual pressure is allowed in the system.

Just a question first. Where did you get the idea that I was rich ? I was forced to retire on a limited pension. Yes my house was payed for which was a saving grace for my family, but we are not wealthy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks