• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared Hub Maintenance Questions

FKAM

I’m looking for some guidance/advice on how to deal with a couple of issues I have come up against while going through my geared hub. This is the first time I have gotten into a geared hub, so I'm still in the learning phase.

Issue 1: On the drive gear shims between the retainer and hub body, no where in the manuals can I find anything about using a sealant between the retainer/shim/hub.

DSC00865post.jpg

So are the shims self sealing? Should I use some type of sealant? I realize that I have to account for any sealant in the endplay measurements. The only sealant the manuals mention is to use pipe sealant on the bolts.

Issue2: The outer bearing spacer on the spindle seems to me to be installed backwards. Looking through the manuals, it shows the inner spacer having the larger diameter shoulder towards the gear and the smaller end towards the bearing. The manual shows the outer spacer as a solid piece, but the spacer on mine is like the inner one and has a large diameter side and a small side. No where that I can find, in the manual does it describe how to orientate the spacers other than the drawings. On my outer spacer the small side was towards the gear and the large side towards the bearing. When I flip the spacer the bearing surfaces seem to size up better to each other than the way it was. I guess so long as it is spacing things correctly and not rubbing on anything it is OK as is, but I wanted to ask.

Photo of how outer spacer was.

DSC00862Post.jpg

Photo of how I think the outer spacer should be.

DSC00863Post.jpg

Manual schematic of the spindle assembly. In the diagram you can see the inner spacer ( 8 ) is stepped but the outer one (10) looks uniform.

Capture2.JPG

Photo of inner spacer showing the large diameter side against the gear.

DSC00864post.jpg

Any info someone may have would be appreciated.
Thanx
Fred

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stepped portion of the bearing retainers goes against the bearing in race, the way you found it was incorrect.
Your assumption is correct.
As far as sealant goes? I’ve used RTV for many many years

Crapgame

Do you make witness marks across the cover bolts when done? I've seen a few of the Go-Dove GMVs with white witness marks across the housing cover bolts.

FKAM

Do you make witness marks across the cover bolts when done? I've seen a few of the Go-Dove GMVs with white witness marks across the housing cover bolts.
If you are asking me, not having gotten into a geared hub before and this being a first for me, the answer is no, but I think it's a good idea and will plan to do it on mine when I finish up, thanx.

JMP308

I would use Hylomar sealant it is made for aircraft , its the best sealant I ever used, its blue colored , clean sealing surfaces ,put it on both sides very thin let it tack up then install ,it can be wiped off with lacquer thinner, shake the tube before use to mix it up if its been sitting around for a long time, I have used it on aircraft engines , and everything else for 50 years hope this helps, James Peters

FKAM

I would use Hylomar sealant it is made for aircraft , its the best sealant I ever used, its blue colored , clean sealing surfaces ,put it on both sides very thin let it tack up then install ,it can be wiped off with lacquer thinner, shake the tube before use to mix it up if its been sitting around for a long time, I have used it on aircraft engines , and everything else for 50 years hope this helps, James Peters
Never heard of Hylomar sealant, but I'll definitely check it out.

Thanx

Wire Fox

Another +1 for Hylomar. Farkin' expensive for the volume you get, but it works very well. It never cures, so it's a great thing to use in areas that need frequent maintenance. You can often re-use the applied sealant if it didn't get fouled or separate off of the part. Its primary users tend to be race engines and aircraft. My motorcycle actually calls for it on a couple of areas of the engine. Only place local I found that ever stocked it was a Harley Davidson dealership, but you can pretty easily order it online.

MattNC

Can I ask a follow on question? I followed the above as I was checking my hubs out and everything went very well and the hubs were in great shape with the right style of locking tabs but I did manage to round off one drain plug on the hub. I wanted to ask advice on getting those unstuck. I'll probably have to drill and easy-out the rounded one. How should I approach the others without messing them up too? I thought somebody had mentioned using a torch. Would a propane hand one work? Should I aim to heat the housing or the plug? How long would you aim to heat it up?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks