• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question Duramax in a M1028

tourus

So I have searched with out a lot of luck. I am looking for posts about swapping a Duramax Diesel into a M1028.
I have a chance to buy a 2001 4 door dwr. 3500 GMC cheap 1000.00 (engine does have a bad head gasket) and 200,000 miles on it. I am looking to maybe put the engine and trans and the transfer in a m1028. just looking to read if anyone has done it .

richingalveston

that is stil low miles for that motor. The only problem with it is it is expensive to do injectors and injectors only last for about 150k. at 200, if it has not had injectors you should go ahead and change them.

The biggest problem is weight and it is a tough fit. i don't think there are threads here about installing it into a cucv but there are threads on other sites that have done it. I think the fire wall has to have some modifications and the front springs have to be changed to handle the weight. You really need the Allison trans also to go with the Duramax. The trans really works well with that engine.

In my opinion it is not a good fit for a cucv. The frame is not strong enough for the HP and the weight of the duramax. IF you beef up the frame it might be ok. But be advised it is supposedly the hardest motor to swap into a square body, A Cummins is easier and can get to the same hp but if you do to much you can have frame issues.

IF that truck is salvageable and fixable it brings good money used. I have a 2001 4dr. 4x4 with 200k and I have been offered $10k for it by several people. The early Duramax engines are some of the best.

tourus

OK thanks that is the kind of input I was looking for.. I will look at some other sites before I make any kind of move. again Thank you.

HETvet

that is stil low miles for that motor. The only problem with it is it is expensive to do injectors and injectors only last for about 150k. at 200, if it has not had injectors you should go ahead and change them.

The biggest problem is weight and it is a tough fit. i don't think there are threads here about installing it into a cucv but there are threads on other sites that have done it. I think the fire wall has to have some modifications and the front springs have to be changed to handle the weight. You really need the Allison trans also to go with the Duramax. The trans really works well with that engine.

In my opinion it is not a good fit for a cucv. The frame is not strong enough for the HP and the weight of the duramax. IF you beef up the frame it might be ok. But be advised it is supposedly the hardest motor to swap into a square body, A Cummins is easier and can get to the same hp but if you do to much you can have frame issues.

IF that truck is salvageable and fixable it brings good money used. I have a 2001 4dr. 4x4 with 200k and I have been offered $10k for it by several people. The early Duramax engines are some of the best.
A Cummins is almost 200-300lbs HEAVIER than a duramax. Yes, the LB7 injectors have some issues, and it requires removing the valve covers to change injectors. But the LB7 also is the least mechanical engine of the Dmax family. It also has a non-VGT turbo. The problem with fitting it in a cucv is the center/valley montes turbo and the electronics. You have to have a throttle position sensor, and routing the wiring harness and mounting the ECM, plus custom tuning to assign the ECM a new vin. It also requires a larger radiator and front mont aftercooler. I doubt the TH400 trans will bolt to the D-max much less handle the torque in even stock form. The Allison transmission it the best way to go, but it dwarfs the TH400 I all dimension of size. It will require an adapter to bolt the transfer case to it, or you can use the electronic T case. But the factory T case behind the D max has a condition of pump rub. Lastly, the drive shafts will need to be custom as nether the front or rear drive shafts are the right size. There are other issues to contend with; fuel lines being to small, retrofitting the fuel sending unit, and all the gauges on the truck being analog and the duramax using only sensors. Budget for this conversion needs to be 3 times the cost of the donor truck, plus $1K for odds and ends.

But when GM designed the LB7, it was based around fitting in to a GMT400 truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks