• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crank, no start, white smoke.

erasedhammer

So my 6.2 cranks but doesn't start.
All glow plugs have replaced with ac Delco 60g. I checked voltage at the plugs and they are getting 12v.

I checked the pink wire on the IP and it's getting 12v, I also sanded the tab down a bit for better contact.

Fuel gauge read 1/2 tank, but I put 5 gallons in just to make sure the gauge wasnt stuck. Gauge works, reads 3/4 tank now.

I opened a fuel line from an injector and cranked it, it gives a little dribble of fuel out of it.

And when cranking there is a fair amount of white smoke out the exhaust.

Not sure what could be wrong at this point? What should I check?

richingalveston

undo the fuel line at the IP, if you have good fuel flow at that point and very little at the injector then you need an IP rebuild.
If the fuel flow is not good at ip then you have a bad fuel pump or possible stopped up lines, tank sock, or fuel filter base.

erasedhammer

On a side note, would you happen to know how long a 6.2 could idle off of fuel in the lines if it couldn't get fuel from the tank?

When I first started it, it idled fine for 10 minutes then died, and now I can't get it started.

Do you think this would indicate clogged lines from the tank or bad IP?

319cssb

Try to spray some transmission fluid in the intake while starting, or better yet, test the compression

erasedhammer

Are th batteries fully charged? If you can try to slave cable it with anothr MV
Brand new batteries, 24.5v.
But the alternator lights are both on, but I suppose that's a problem for another day.

Yeah compression might be the issue, not sure how it could happen on a 14k mile 6.2?

richingalveston

pull the fuel line from the filter base and install a temp line and run it into a bucket. crank the engine and see what kind of flow you get. it could be the sock or just a bad fuel pump. If it has mechanical pump failure it will do what yours is doing, the pump passes just enough fuel for it to idle a short bit then die. The stopped up sock will do the same.
you must make sure you have good flow to the ip or you are wasting time guessing.

Barrman

Yes, the mechanical pump can be changed without an oil gusher.

Pull the pink pink wire if you are going to check for fuel pump flow. Otherwise air will get sucked in.

With proper flow and psi. A dry IP should take about 2 minion cranking to get primed again at most. I crank with half throttle for a count of 10. Let it sit for at least 30 seconds and repeat. Normally it will want to start the 4th or 5th time. Then will start the next time or two. If you have gone past that. You have a fuel supply problem, IP issues or the IP return check valve is blocked.

DeadParrot

Double check the rubber line from the tank to the frame and frame to the mechanical pump. Frame to pump often gets changed as it is a simple job. One from tank to frame often gets skipped. Out of sight and all. If it is original, possible it is starting to let air into the system.

Also, from personal experience, mice will chew on that tank to frame rubber line. Rather irritating to have a fuel starvation issue on a PU with 2 full 20 gallon fuel tanks. I think the same mouse got both lines.

erasedhammer

Double check the rubber line from the tank to the frame and frame to the mechanical pump. Frame to pump often gets changed as it is a simple job. One from tank to frame often gets skipped. Out of sight and all. If it is original, possible it is starting to let air into the system.

Also, from personal experience, mice will chew on that tank to frame rubber line. Rather irritating to have a fuel starvation issue on a PU with 2 full 20 gallon fuel tanks. I think the same mouse got both lines.
Wouldnt it be leaking if the lines were letting air in/ chewed on?

erasedhammer

Which line is input and which is output?

15606300567177963617902857234800.jpg

Top line is full of fuel. Bottom line is bone dry.
I suppose it depends on which is which, but looks like a filter issue?

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Short of disassembling the intake, both hoses do go under the manifold.

I suppose the filter is the issue though? Since one side if full of fuel and the other is dry?

dmetalmiki

"A fair amount of white smoke", Usually indicates injector fault.
Do some research via google and you will see plenty of tech reports about the emission of white (Unburned) diesel fuel issues.

Terracoma

Which line is input and which is output?
Top line is full of fuel. Bottom line is bone dry.
I suppose it depends on which is which, but looks like a filter issue?

Top line (large hose) is the input/supply from the lift pump, bottom line (small hose) is the output/delivery to the IP.

Fuel filter could be clogged or obstructed, or the fuel pressure sensor could be leaking and caused an air pocket in the filter... Try cracking open the black bleeder screw on the top passenger corner of the filter bracket, cranking the engine with the pink wire removed from the IP, and seeing if you get fuel from the bleeder nipple.

Replacing the fuel filter would be cheap insurance at this point.

erasedhammer

Top line (large hose) is the input/supply from the lift pump, bottom line (small hose) is the output/delivery to the IP.

Fuel filter could be clogged or obstructed, or the fuel pressure sensor could be leaking and caused an air pocket in the filter... Try cracking open the black bleeder screw on the top passenger corner of the filter bracket, cranking the engine with the pink wire removed from the IP, and seeing if you get fuel from the bleeder nipple.

Replacing the fuel filter would be cheap insurance at this point.
Yeah I opened that valve and nothing while cranking. So I suppose changing the filter and checking for obstructions is the problem is first loe

DeadParrot

Wouldnt it be leaking if the lines were letting air in/ chewed on?
Not on the suction side. The mechanical pump sucks the fuel out of the tank and feeds to the injector system. Chewed/rotted hole lets air in when the pump is running. The hole breaks any siphon effect once the pump stops. There might be a few drops spill during shutdown but probably not enough to notice.

Worth checking before starting mechanical repairs.

erasedhammer

Not on the suction side. The mechanical pump sucks the fuel out of the tank and feeds to the injector system. Chewed/rotted hole lets air in when the pump is running. The hole breaks any siphon effect once the pump stops. There might be a few drops spill during shutdown but probably not enough to notice.

Worth checking before starting mechanical repairs.
Yeah I inspected all that rubber hosing, its in good shape, no dry rot or holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks