• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crank, no start, white smoke.

erasedhammer

Loosen the flare nut on the fuel lift pump and see if it has any fuel pumping when you crank it over. is the fuel pump dry externally?
Yes the pump is dry. But that pump is working. There is fuel getting to the inlet of the filter. I'm probably overthinking this and its just a clogged filter. Hopefully.

Barrman

I had the same thing on my M715 with a 6.2 last week. Fired it up, it ran for a minute or so and then died. No restart. I changed out the 3 year old filter, bled it and it fired on the 3rd try.

Start simple on these engines. Battery grunt to turn a good starter. Air into the engine and a steady fuel supply to the IP. After that is IP health and compression.

erasedhammer

Put a magnet up the slot the push rod lives in. There is no place for it to go but out of the fuel pump mount location.
Yeah I'm having trouble finding a magnet that is small enough. Most are large ones used for picking up bolts.

Where can I get a new rod? It doesn't look like napa/O'Reilly/AutoZone has one ...
What grease do I use for the new rod?

Update: got a magnet, got the piece out. Good to go there.
got some all purpose grey grease. Should work well.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I guess you are in a hurry for one. I have a few in scrap engines. PM me an address. Wheel bearing grease will hold it up in there till you install the pump. Put a new pump on while you are in there. Good Luck.

erasedhammer

I guess this push rod is a little difficult to get. Amazon doesn't have any?

I'm in a hurry to encounter the next problem that will keep this engine from running.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can be found on ebay for around $5 often.

The hole is a vent, I believe.

cucvrus

All my years working on Chevy engines and this is the first I've seen one of these break :shock:
Same here. I never seen any break except on line. Not sure if it involves some operator error on fuel pump installation. But I never seen or heard of them broken before the internet came along. And I can't find one for giving away at the moment. I would need to go out and remove a fuel pump from a parts truck. Good Luck Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Most i saw have been installed wrong.
How can you install it wrong? Please? I have installed them a thousand times. Maybe I am doing it wrong. My cobbler bench was Round peg, Round hole, Square peg, Square hole, See my point? It only fits one way and each end is the same. If you know something here enlighten me. Please. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks