• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crank, no start, white smoke.

erasedhammer

Same here. I never seen any break except on line. Not sure if it involves some operator error on fuel pump installation. But I never seen or heard of them broken before the internet came along. And I can't find one for giving away at the moment. I would need to go out and remove a fuel pump from a parts truck. Good Luck Have a Great Day.
All good, I've got one on order from kascar.

erasedhammer

I got fuel pressure through the filter and got it fired up for 5 seconds at a time now.
I'm sure it just needs more bleeding, but the fuel filter base is leaking internally. The filter itself is full of fuel, but the dripping is coming straight off the base of the filter. Not sure why it's doing it, but starting the truck with it dripping on the exhaust doesn't seem too safe.

Update it seems to be leaking from the fuel pressure switch. Previous owner had cut the wires off it, and the mesh that was over it is disturbed.
Time to get a new filter housing?

Update:
Looked around for the part, either the entire base or the fuel pressure switch itself, and I cant seem to find one that wouldn't take a few weeks to get to me.

In the meantime does anyone know a quick fix for the leak? Maybe cover the switch in rtv? Id' like to start the truck without fear of starting a diesel fire by the exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

The most common fixes for the stock fuel base are to remove the fuel pressure switch and plug the remaining hole, or to get a freeze plug of the correct size and drive it in... Most guys seem to have better luck just plugging the hole.

Some searching here in the CUCV section will turn up a few threads with detailed info.

EDIT to add:

Start, Stall then Hard Start - Fixed

Fuel Filter Base Fix
I was able to source a FM100 base from my local napa, so I'll just replace the whole assembly with a better design. Square filters shouldn't exist.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The redesigned base has the fuel pressure hole removed completely.
There were new filter bases/assembly's on eBay, but haven’t looked in a while.

I installed a new stock assembly about three years ago.
It is the new style without the pressure sensor hole.
Have a second one for a spare.

The stock setup works for me.
No issues at all.

Jerryparentii

A question on this feed, my CUCV M1009 has been running great since I bought it about 5 months ago. But recently it’s not starting. I changed the fuel filter (STOCK) thinking that might be it but nothing changed and I am definitely getting fuel. Any help you may have.

cucvrus

Very vague description of issue. Do the glow plugs cycle? Have you checked them? Does it crank? Can you hear the glow plug relay engage and have you checked to see if power is coming out of the glow plug relay when the wait light is on. It could be as simple as that. Slag built up on the internal contacts of the relay. Check it out and report back. I am assuming it cranks over fine and also assuming it has a stock glow plug system in place that is fully operational. Be Safe.

Jerryparentii

Very vague description of issue. Do the glow plugs cycle? Have you checked them? Does it crank? Can you hear the glow plug relay engage and have you checked to see if power is coming out of the glow plug relay when the wait light is on. It could be as simple as that. Slag built up on the internal contacts of the relay. Check it out and report back. I am assuming it cranks over fine and also assuming it has a stock glow plug system in place that is fully operational. Be Safe.
Sounds like good advice and yes everything you are saying is correct. I’ll have some tome to look it over on Saturday, I’ll keep in touch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks