• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux tanks under 50 gallons

Josephml21

Looking for recommendations on a Auxiliary tank under 50 gallons that will be stored outside in Pennsylvania. It will be under a deck so not totally in the elements...

It's for a 803.

Thanks everyone

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to do under 50

55 gallon drums are probly the best

here is a member that did a nice job

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although you might use a 30 gallon steel parts cleaning drum that might work for you

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chainbreaker

Not sure what your budget is or how much deck clearance you have... but there are a lot of transfer type tanks shown on Northern Tool. You can also find them stocked in Farm Supply stores.

I have both aluminum and steel transfer tanks on my generator trailers. Aluminum is more expensive but is worth it in the long run in my opinion. Aluminum won't rust inside or out like steel eventually does, especially with storing any biodiesel (hydroscopic) blends.

Here is a Northern Tool link to take a look at several offerings with some 36 & 45 gal versions. I have one of the 36 gal "Better Built" tanks and its OK but it started to rust inside after 2 years. It also had a lot of weld slag inside it that I had to clean out before using.

BTW, my best find was a used aluminum 50 gallon refer tank project (the ones seen hanging from the belly of 18 wheeler semi refrigeration trucks) with cradle that I found on Craigslist & purchased for $60 & then "rejuvenated" it.

Last edited:

Josephml21

Not sure what your budget is or how much deck clearance you have... but there are a lot of transfer type tanks shown on Northern Tool. You can also find them stocked in Farm Supply stores.

I have both aluminum and steel transfer tanks on my generator trailers. Aluminum is more expensive but is worth it in the long run in my opinion. Aluminum won't rust inside or out like steel eventually does, especially with storing any biodiesel (hydroscopic) blends.

Here is a Northern Tool link to take a look at several offerings with some 36 & 45 gal versions. I have one of the 36 gal "Better Built" tanks and its OK but it started to rust inside after 2 years. It also had a lot of weld slag inside it that I had to clean out before using.

BTW, my best find was a used aluminum 50 gallon refer tank project (the ones seen hanging from the belly of 18 wheeler semi refrigeration trucks) with cradle that I found on Craigslist & purchased for $60 & then "rejuvenated" it.
The budget isn't an issue and I have tons of clearance from the ground to the bottom of the deck... The 803 is under the deck also.

I really liked alot of the transfer tanks that northern tool has but I was worried about what it would take to make it work, fabrication and such.

justicelee26

I recently hooked up my 803 to a 95 gallon transfer tank. When you find a tank it should be pretty easy to hook up to the generator. I can help if you have any questions.

Josephml21

I recently hooked up my 803 to a 95 gallon transfer tank. When you find a tank it should be pretty easy to hook up to the generator. I can help if you have any questions.
Awesome, my concern is with what am I going to hook the hose upto and what I'm going to use as a pick up to draw fuel from the bottom of the tank.

justicelee26

Most aux fuel tanks have a 3/8 drain plug. I took a 2” long 3/8 brass pipe with male threads on both ends and screwed it into the tank the other end into a 3/8 gas ball valve. This way I can shut off flow if the fuel line leaks. In the other end of the valve I screwed in a 3/8 male thread to 3/8 barb adapter. I used 5/16 fuel line (about $1.50 or less a foot) and connected that to the 3/8 barb (it was tight but it went in and it doesn’t leak). As for connecting the 5/16 fuel line the the generator that is were it gets tricky. This specific part is the only one I know of that will fit perfectly.

143-0508K | 5/16" Hose x 5/16" JIC 37°/SAE 45° Dual Seat Female Swivel

It is at discounthydrolichose.com and it will screw directly on the the male aux fuel connection on the generator. Since the other end is a 5/16 barb it fits perfectly to the fuel line. I also added a clear fuel filter in the line shortly after the valve close to the tank. This is very helpful to see if there is flow through the line when the aux pump should be pulling fuel.

justicelee26

I forgot to mention. The short pipe and gas valve I got from Lowe’s in the plumping section, both are brass. I used fuel rated Teflon tape for all connections except the fitting connected directly to the generator, that one has no sealant but does not leak. The fuel line and filter I got from an auto parts store. Also if you are concerned about using the drain line because of potential condensation at the bottom of the tank then if you haven’t used the tank in a while unplug the filter and put a mason jar under the line and open the valve to drain from the bottom of the tank. When clean diesel comes out you are good. I don’t think that will be a problem if you keep the tank mostly full but just thought I’d mention it.

Last edited:

Josephml21

Awesome, my concern is with what am I going to hook the hose upto and what I'm going to use as a pick up to draw fuel from the bottom of the tank.
Great information brother! I appreciate it. I really don't mind doing a little rigging to make something work but at this point with the generator being totally installed I would want something easy and quick, like a 55 gallon drum or a smaller drum if I'm able to find one.

Honestly I just didn't like the idea of a drum just randomly sitting in the backyard under the deck... I guess I'm weird.

Chainbreaker

Pretty easy if you are just hooking up to your aux fuel input on genset. If you purchase a transfer tank it will usually come with a plastic or metal threaded bung plug in top that you take out and replace with a reducer type adapter for inserting your draw tube that should be fitted to come within about 1" of tank bottom. I took my plastic plug out of the transfer tank and took it down to my local hydraulic hose shop so they would know size & threads to match tank opening and to accommodate adapter for screwing in draw tube. I explained what I wanted to do and gave them the length of aux hose I needed to run to genset Aux fitting (An-5) and they made it up for me on the spot. If your local hydraulic fittings shop does not have the necessary parts this outfit has just about any part you would need.

WP_20140429_001.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used lined 55g drums, work quite well. If I had the money, I'd probably just install a 275g HHO tank and be done with it. The drums provide portability though, so its all a tradeoff.

Bmxenbrett

A 55gal drum under a porch is a bad idea. It will get wet and always be in the shade. This promotes rust. A covered and protected area is best for any fuel storage.

55gal drums and 275 oil tanks are cheap but have major down sides. 55gal drums are very thin and made for only one use. 275 oil tanks are usualy filled with a hige ammount of sludge.

A hydraulic tank may be good but i doubt you can get one that big for cheap.
What else do you have that uses diesel? Whst means do you have to lift/move fuel/tanks?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on where the porch faces... it might not always be the wrong side. You can coat the drum in fluidfilm too, and be done with it. There ARE better solutions, but its a pretty good one dollar for dollar.

justicelee26

I agree with the HHO tank idea. They are super cheap (used) and they hold a lot of fuel. If you get one from someone who is upgrading from HHO and doesn’t need the tank you can pressure wash and paint it and have a great tank. That was my plan until a smaller tank basically fell into my lap. The tank I have now is aluminum though so I don’t have to worry about rust.

Last edited:

DeadParrot

30~40 gallon Suburban fuel tank. Already has provisions for filling with cap, withdrawal and as a bonus, has a gauge sender. Designed for some exposure to elements. Same for deuce fuel tank.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 gallon drums that stand upright, where water can accumulate due to the lip around the top, are notorious for leaking water into the contents, regardless of how its supposedly sealed. It has to do with heating up during the day, creating pressure, then cooling at night and a vacuum. Drums are handy & cheap, but nothing is worth having water in the fuel, so great care is used. At least that's what the Bush Plane guy's tell me around here -- I believe them too.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 gallon drums that stand upright, where water can accumulate due to the lip around the top, are notorious for leaking water into the contents, regardless of how its supposedly sealed. It has to do with heating up during the day, creating pressure, then cooling at night and a vacuum. Drums are handy & cheap, but nothing is worth having water in the fuel, so great care is used. At least that's what the Bush Plane guy's tell me around here -- I believe them too.
I agree. If you want water in fuel use 55 gallon drums!!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive got a half dozen drums under tarp with pressure relief valves installed... no water at all. They do make drum caps too, to make them completely shed water. Whatever works, folks think what they will.

Chainbreaker

... They do make drum caps too, to make them completely shed water...
You mean like these drum caps? Sure seems like cheap insurance. Of course, I would also want to make sure the bottom is sitting on something (a couple of 4x6 cut-off pieces, pavers or whatever serves the purpose) that keeps it up off ground & from collecting moisture against the bottom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks