• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux tanks under 50 gallons

Chainbreaker

If looking for a used HHO tank, pay particular attention to the support leg construction. I've seen quite a few of the type shown in the picture on pg 18 of the ^above^ linked PDF that shows how it can fail under the weight of its fuel load contents.

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

Unless your useing 230gal in a year i would stay away from HHO tanks. Yes you can just put 50gal in it but will get major condensation if not completly full.

tktsales

I have a 90 gallon tank from something like a Ryder truck. Its long a flat. Has a connection on the back for pickup, The tag says its 90 gallon with 75 gallon usable or something like that so I assume its pulling an inch or so off the bottom. What I like about it is it has a spot for a fuel gauge.. Here is my setup which I also have a transfer pump on this so I can fuel my other equipment and keep the fuel turned over often enough.

generator_aux.jpggenerator_auxtank.jpggenerator_fuel guage.jpg

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 90 gallon tank from something like a Ryder truck. Its long a flat. Has a connection on the back for pickup, The tag says its 90 gallon with 75 gallon usable or something like that so I assume its pulling an inch or so off the bottom. What I like about it is it has a spot for a fuel gauge.. Here is my setup which I also have a transfer pump on this so I can fuel my other equipment and keep the fuel turned over often enough.

View attachment 768079View attachment 768080View attachment 768081
90 gallon tank filled 80% full is close to 75 gallon usable. Never fill these tanks completely full and let sit for extended periods of time. Fuel has to have room to expand when it heats up.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean like these drum caps? Sure seems like cheap insurance. Of course, I would also want to make sure the bottom is sitting on something (a couple of 4x6 cut-off pieces, pavers or whatever serves the purpose) that keeps it up off ground & from collecting moisture against the bottom.
Yes, thats what I was referencing. My tanks are on poured concrete, but sitting on top of containment vessels: https://www.zoro.com/eagle-drum-spi...MIrcq6ytfy4gIVAUSGCh0eBgNiEAQYASABEgLIaPD_BwE

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always find a transfer tank locally (craigslist, etc) from a vehicle, that would work well too if you can provide a solid mounting off the ground for it.

Zed254

I grabbed one of these from a local supplier - search Ebay for 'Military Surplus 50 Gallon MRAP Fuel Tank' : my seller took a lower offer than what you see posted. I remember a GovLiq auction where these were going in lots of 10 or 15 and they moved for around $50 (https://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=11735083&convertTo=USD) each. Anyway, these are very nice tanks: supply tube is already installed as is the roll over breather. I built a 4x4 wooden base on casters and have been happy with the result. I added a level indicator and an extra roll over breather because I bought one before I received the tank. I cover it with a canvas furniture cover for storage.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks