• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differences in VIM modules? (and other Trans harness questions)

DREDnot

Im starting to piece together the trans wiring harness from the Frankenstein parts box.

According to the TM, at the tail end of 20-5, I seem to have the TID 1 version of the transmission.

DSCN9253.jpg

DSCN9884.jpgDSCN9885.jpgDSCN9886.jpg

Then there is this illustration...

DSCN9887.jpg

Im trying to figure out what VIM I need to go with and the correct connectors.

This is the stump of trans harness the truck came with.

DSCN9883.jpg

This is the TEPSS I'm hoping is correct...It was purchased separately and is not from this truck.

DSCN9392.jpgDSCN9393.jpgDSCN9394.jpg

My biggest question is what the correct VIM for my application looks like?
The 24 pin and 31 pin referenced have me wondering? According to the table, I want the one with 31 pins. All the pics I've seen of actual VIMs have lots of ports and none that are round 31 pin.

Also any pics of the round port VIM would be appreciated.

And how it mounts. All I had was this mess to go by

DSCN9285.jpg

I have a replacement harness coming from a fine member here so hopefully that will have some more clues to the VIM mystery

DREDnot

OK.
Searched that part number and found this pic on Ebay

VIM.jpgVIM1.jpgVIM2.jpg

So the small connector jives with the harness I got.
Is the large connector the same no matter what year? I have an unknown year PDP/harness assembly that has the PX33 plug that fits that VIM that I will have to cut and graft onto my harness.

DSCN9285.jpg

DSCN9817.jpg

Ronmar

The earlier pics you posted are WTEC III ECU’s...

That last batch is a WTEC II VIM 24V 6 relay(looks just like mine:) It mounts up under the passenger dash with those 3 tabs and 3 10mm bolts...

Oops, pic 7 and 8 above are of a WTEC2 keypad attached to ECU...

Last edited:

DREDnot

Man...you scared me there. Went and looked up the part numbers and the TM(24-P) shows the WTEC2 as being 29519627

DSCN9393.jpg

Not sure what the small one is, though. It has a different part number that the listed WTEC3 and a different connector from the illustration

Ronmar

Huh...I was under the impression that the big one was WTEC2 and the smaller one was WTEC3

View attachment 767978

View attachment 767979
These are pics of a WTEC II ECU(has keyboard attached and wider display). The smaller one is a WTEC III control panel(narrower display opening).

On a WTEC II, ECU and keypad are mounted together in the drivers dash and VIM is used to provide interface and relay outputs to the vehicle mounted under passenger dash.

On a WTEC III the keypad is mounted by itself in the drivers dash, the ECU is mounted under the passenger dash where the VIM would be on a II, and no VIM is used(requires standalone relays mounted in the power dist panel...

leibuys

Yes do you need the tcm and keypad or just tcm? What is your trans serial?
I have a shop both cleaning and testing both the keypad and TCM, one or both is likely failed as it appears the water entered through the keypad but i'll find something out in the next day or so. I'd like to be prepared either way. Could you kindly provide pricing both separate and together?
Appreciate the follow up.

I'm trying to get some more information on wether or not a WTEC 2 with a diferent part number could be programmed or if the PROM/EPROM chip could just be swapped, I don't quite understand the compatibility as I'm not very familar wiht this yet. Could you provide any info on this so i could understand better?

It is allowing images now, so here is the serial # etc.

Thank you...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks