• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2019 - June VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canadian, ugly, and overgrown. No choice, I have to vote for the underdog.

Which company actually built this one? Actually, there should be quite a lot of those trucks left all over the world.

I just remembered, I know where two of them are in the Netherlands (or at least were in 2011).

Staman_25.JPG Staman_03.JPG

The guy is selling parts and vehicles, but also has a WWII museum.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll be showing him at the Fort DA Russell Days at FE Warren AFB, And I’ll be driving in all four CFD parades. I was contacted by the air show folks as well. If I recall correctly, the air show is on the Wednesday of CFD.
I have been at many events with Jeff's "War Wagon" it is a definite crowd builder! :driver:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, for sure one heck of a machine, a next time you definitely will get my vote for it, now other emotions came first.

CMPPhil

Little more of the story

CMPPhil, what is the construction on the back of the original overgrown truck, home-made or official?
Hi
No the frame on the back is not Canadian Military Equipment, that is Yankee conversion/adaptation from the trucks early life. This truck was found at the foot of Mt Ascutney in Vermont. The owner told me that it had been used to drag ski tow cables up the mountain during construction the frame was welded directly to the frame an made of very heavy steel.

Pattern 12 As Found - (b).jpgPat 12 Nose Change Details 033.jpg
The first thing that attracted me to the CMPs was they are different. They stand out in a crowed. The next things about them that appeals to me is that they are really straight forward, simple design, over built, and with components designed to be repaired or rebuilt, not just replaced.

Though not fast by todays standards they were and are able to keep up or drive away from most military vehicles of their day. Their off road capacities are outstanding even by the standards of todays Military Vehicle. This truck is rated to Maximum Gradeablity 53% so that is pulling up on a grade of 53% with 3 ton load stopping, setting the brakes shutting down the engine. Then restarting and continuing up the grade.

If that doesn't work then with this truck you run out the cable from the center mounted winch, it can be used either to the rear or to the front of the truck, carries 125 feet of 11/16 cable. The winch is rated to 14.5 Tons. For winching other vehicles the truck carries winch scotch’s are attached to the truck with cables then truck is driven up on the scotchs thus anchoring the truck for winching. I've read and heard that one of the draw backs of the center mounted winch is that if it is engaged while the cable end is shackled to the front bumper it will fold the truck in a U. There are no sheer pins the universals on the drive shaft to the winch are the limiting factor.
Canada Winch Cable 001.jpgIMG_0630.jpgWinch 008.jpg

Like every thing on the truck the winch assembly is simple made up using as many standard truck parts as possible.

The scorch marks in the paint above the winch is from assembling the body for the truck, which some of you may identify as a drop side from an M35A2. Which as been bobbed length wise to remove 10 inches from its length to make it match the original width of CMP Drop Side Bodies. The Australians assembled/manufactured a lot of CMPs during the war. One of their additions to the history of these trucks was to make drop side bodies. Another bit of history was the large numbers of CMPs that they used in the North African Campaign. The desert photo is of on of those trucks found in the last 10 years out in the desert.
Drop sidebody 5-25-07 002.jpgDrop sidebody 5-27-07 001.jpgcmp3_142.jpg

This truck is the most useful of my three trucks for projects around the house. With addition of hydraulic lift arm with electric winch it is a very useful tool.

Canada working 001.jpg

Cheers Phil

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is really a truck to have fun with using it. Great. As you said, they stand out and are something special. The Dutch DAF military trucks are similar. Strange but ingenious and fun.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not saying anything. The last time I tried to promote "my guy" in a draw, the opposition got three votes extra :whistle:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, i'll throw it out: the "War Wagon" is doing a lot out here for promoting MV's.........

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Reis the Beast resurrection is progressing,,a few recent updates

Acquired a S-178-D AN/MRC-69{V} Shelter, Successfully deployed cab and tire, installed Fuzzys Truck-lit LED,s in the rear, Installed DOT front LED headlights, CTIS module/Armor, oh and what the heck, a pic of HQL4-my home away from home in the sand,.kept me in one piece

20190613_185929.jpgctis armor.jpgcab open tire down (2).jpgred tail light.jpgAN-MRC-69 (5).jpgrhino.jpg

Vote the underdog and combat vet in the mix

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks