• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd dimensional request

Badmiker

Hey FMTV fam,

I am noodling away on our ex-veh build and came up with an idea. I am thinking of making the roof bar setup you see on many expedition type vehicles into a possible platform. Not for full time use, or use during vehicle operation.

Does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the roof surface of the cab? WxL in approximate lengths is plenty.

Thanks,

Mike

coachgeo

??? platform to stand on? Roof bar.. serving drinks at this bar? Sorry don't have dimensions for you.... but very curious what your picturing in your mind..... can you post a pic of something similar

Ronmar

According to my cad drawings from where it turns down in the front to the beveled top edge(flat portion) is 4’ 3-7/8”. Between the top of the bevels side to side, 6’ 13/16”

Caelan

Sounds about right. My measurements are to the rain gutters where I plan on attaching my roof rack and extend out a wee bit over the bevel front and back.

Badmiker

Wicked.

I am thinking of a 'folding' roof platform that when stowed would have some storage for light weight bulky things like cold weather gear, tents, etc. Then if wanted while camped, flip open towards the front of the vehicle (like a book with the spine facing forward) which could be used as a good weather star watching sleeping platform. Or 2nd 'bed room' for if we have a guest stay the night. We are planing a build that will only really accommodate 2 people inside out box.

It would be braced to the brush bars running up the A-pillars. I am thinking of sort of . . . double skinning the bars with a pivot so the outer skin of the bar can pivot forward to catch the front edge of the folded out platform and support the weight. Again, this would only be used when the truck is not moving. The cab could be locked down to remove the suspension component.

Our box is going to be pretty covered with solar (1.8kW) and composite. Sleeping off the ground has some advantages and disadvantages but it is just a thought at the moment. It may actually never come to anything.

Badmiker

Here is a set of tree bars/ roof storage concept on Bliss Or Die's rig:

BlissOrDie.jpg
Now, imagine the platform being 2 sheets thick and allowing the top sheet to pivot 180 deg to extend in front / above the windscreen. That would give a platform about 8' long and 6' wide... about the same size as a 2 man tent....

Another thought would be think of it like a roof top tent that is not an off the shelf tent.

front-runner-roof-top-tent-tent031-1.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks