• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Starter Issues

Stormer2000

Battery cables are good. This starter is pretty new. 3rd one I’ve tried as I’ve suspected faulty starters were the cause before. Solenoid does work properly when given power directly from the 24v to the starter motor and always works with the key however more often than not won’t continue to push out and line up with the flywheel. When it does mesh it cranks the engine with no issue.

Stormer2000

Yes, new starter bolts. Starter support bracket also in place. Haven’t messed with shims but when it starts there’s no weird sounds or grinding or unusual wear on the teeth.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
You stated new wires, but what about cables? When loading the cables have you checked for excessive heat in positive or negative?

What about painted surfaces?

And Tinstar is correct that my last problem was the starting slide on the steering column. I grabbed a known good one and replaced and it was the problem that time. I am surprised that the switch does not go bad more often as your wet or muddy shoes are always rubbing on something underdash. You say that different column same result. How about underdash wires, check? Check grounding wire strip underdash by the E-Brake foot lever.

How about the fuse box itself, have you disassembled?

How about the cable junction strip on the firewall? Rust, corrosion?

I think that what we as a collective are saying is that after a meltdown one thought at a time and thorough inspection of every wire. Voltmeter across the fusible links also.

In the dark have someone engage key and look for arching.

I believe that we have touched on about everything. Have you the CUCV wiring diagrams?

Stormer2000

Under dash wires are okay. I replaced the ignition switch on the original column as well before the swap. Column was rebuilt so new switches. I believe the issue is in that purple and white wire going to the solenoid, but From what I can access it looks okay, so I suspect the issue is under the dash? Any tricks on how to access it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks