• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWv seats

What seats?

• High back

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Off road racing

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • other

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Im looking to get new seats. I have the original foam pads now. How comfortable are the high back seats? Would i be better off getting a off road racing seat?
thanks

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
IMO... there's not much comfort riding around in a HUMMWV for all of the reasons you can think of. It is the machine that it is. If your not particular about "original mil spec." then make it the way you can best enjoy it. Note that there's not a lot of wiggle room when going to a custom cushier seat. May require modifications to get the front to back slider travel to accommodate or compensate for added padding / driver-passenger comfort. Look closely at just how little room you have to play with left to right, up and down to get the right fit. It's been done and I am sure there's something better.

I have a feeling that most of us just wing it, have a supply of Prep H and ear plugs for the long trips. CAMO

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think the high back seats would be more comfortable espically if you plan to drive it a lot.

papakb

Having spent hours with my butt on both seats I can guarantee the high backs are the way to go. They are to your bottom what radial tires are to the road! LOL

riderdan

If you buy high-back seats (the "OEM" military ones) for all four places, it's more expensive than a similar-quality set of aftermarket seats, which will be more comfortable. So that's a trade off.

If you want to keep the military look of the OEM high backs but get at least a bit more comfort, the covers come off pretty easily and you can add a (thin) layer of memory foam over the seat bottom and put the cover back on. You can't tell it's there by looking, but my hind end notices it.

Those thin square pads for the passengers are fine for 20-YO infantrymen, but my no-longer-20-YO body thinks they're for the birds. And to quote Dr. Jones, it's not the years--it's the milage.

Im not worried about it being 100% original/military. Im only looking for 95%, lol. If i do go with an aftermarket seat it will have to look like it belongs in a military vehicle. Im not a huge fan of the leather seats in hmmwvs, im sure they are comfortable but they look odd.
im not looking for a super plush seat i just wanst sure how much better the high backs are.
Since its me, myself and I 75% of the time, ill probably keep the pads in the back like DREDnot
Having spent hours with my butt on both seats I can guarantee the high backs are the way to go. They are to your bottom what radial tires are to the road! LOL
lol. thanks for the input
If you want to keep the military look of the OEM high backs but get at least a bit more comfort, the covers come off pretty easily and you can add a (thin) layer of memory foam over the seat bottom and put the cover back on. You can't tell it's there by looking, but my hind end notices it.
thats a good idea thanks for sharing

papakb

The seats are a variation on Isringhausens truck seat line. When I had to rebuild my seat base 20 years ago it was the only way to get parts for them and original seat bases were few and far between. Isringhausen helped me out no problem. Check their website and see if they have something that might work for you.

DREDnot

Bet bet is get the high back seat kit.

seat kit h.jpg

It had everything to do the two front seats complete. It was a fun one day project but big improvement. It includes a storage compartment under the drivers seat and WAY better adjustment. The "commanders side" (passenger) has some reinforcing plate to mount on the battery cover.

DSCN8189.jpg

I made some recliner brackets for it since the fixed originals were a little too upright for my misshapen presence.

DSCN8786.jpg

DSCN8784.jpg

I sprayed them liberally with silicone fabric protector to minimize staining and rain soakings.

I stayed with the early rear cushions because I like to switch back and forth to the two man cargo configuration.

DSCN8633.jpg

DSCN7826.jpg

DSCN8209.jpg

Wire Fox

Bet bet is get the high back seat kit.

View attachment 768404

It had everything to do the two front seats complete. It was a fun one day project but big improvement. It includes a storage compartment under the drivers seat and WAY better adjustment. The "commanders side" (passenger) has some reinforcing plate to mount on the battery cover.

View attachment 768398

I made some recliner brackets for it since the fixed originals were a little too upright for my misshapen presence.

View attachment 768399

View attachment 768400

I sprayed them liberally with silicone fabric protector to minimize staining and rain soakings.

I stayed with the early rear cushions because I like to switch back and forth to the two man cargo configuration.

View attachment 768401

View attachment 768402

View attachment 768403
This is unrelated to the general topic, but seeing your photos... ...do your rear tool-access doors also flap in the wind like mine? I'll be going down the road and then suddenly hear the loud thunk of one flipping open and slapping the door. This is 100% fixable issue with a set of draw latches that I already have sitting around, but I've just been too lazy to install them with other projects about.

get that 4/s outta there! lol. I was going to use the factory "folding" rear seats but ended up finding a set of folding mastercraft seats for cheap. still need to get seats for the front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks