• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hot Relay ???

Lonewalker

Howdy all, thanks for all those that came before and left this amazing amount of information on one free forum !!!
1986 m1028, recent purchase has been running fine few weeks , couple days ago dead rear battery ive studied forums on that. Also, learned the DH starter method has apparently been done. In my snooping around I noticed that the black cube relay pictured is very warm to touch and truck has sat cold for 2 days ???? Any sage wisdom appreciated. I'm scouring forum have not found this yet. 0618191715a.jpg

Lonewalker

Double check the service light and blackout light switches. IIRC, there is a combination of settings that will leave the blackout relay engaged.
Thank you for that info, I'm going over diagrams in tm today and will also give those switches a look ��
Belay last transmission , that was exactly it.. service ON in up position flupped to off and bingo relay relaxed. Woohoo thanks so much. On to the next item, these trucks are a definite learning experience , I LIKE IT

Last edited:

chevymike

Yeah, I left my service light switch on the other day and didn't realize it for a couple days. Luckily batteries were not drained but they were low. Put charger on them. Gotta remember to shut of if not using for a bit.

cucvrus

I never shut off the service light switches in any of my CUCV's in over 20 years. Fact I un-nutted the switch on snow plow trucks and wire tied the switch under the dash. Saved me a lot of calls that the lights didn't work. I never heard of it being an issue. Or should I say it never caused me any issues in over 24 years. Stock switch is off and all lights are off. Now an M1010? Maybe. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

chevymike

Interesting. I swear I have read that leaving that switch on for extended periods of time will drain the battery. Not a problem with daily driving. Interesting...

joshuak

Ahh 1010, I was wondering WTH?? I never turned the switch off but then I didn't have a 1010, I wonder why the difference?

The electrical system of the '10 is different in many ways from the other CUCV variants, probably to accommodate for the extra loads required to power the ambulance services.

That's just one of the gremlins that plague the '10, IMO.

Lonewalker

Thanks All that chimed in ��. Big help to me such a simple fix. Has been all good for a week now, no more battery drain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks