• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Essential Tool Kit for a Recovery

CNC2013

Hi guys, i searched all over this site and could not find a thread that covered the essential tools that should be brought when recovering(Purchased and drive home) a vehicle. I am hoping that maybe with input from said experts we can make this a sticky for new buyers to go by. I myself am a little confused since I cannot pack up the full tool box and ship on the belly of Southwest Airlines. What size of a socket will I need for the lugs on the wheels should I need to change one? What other tools might I need just in case? Just remember, I am trying to stay under the 50lb limit as well so let's get creative guys!

Choppers

What are you going to pick up?

How far are you going to move it?

Route (INTESTATE, BACKROADS)?

Flat, mountains, desert?

Solo Trip or with friends?

Do you have a help network (CAN YOU CALL FOR ASSISTANCE)?

List will depend upon vehicle especially, for example tow bar, slave cables, lug nut size, systems, etc.

And terrain-you going 100 miles or 1000? Flat? MOuntains?

I Don't know much, but I'll help.

Help me help you.

Info please

CNC2013

Hey Choppers, thank you! Here is the info: 1989 AMG M923, Flying into Fort Worth, TX and driving to Norman, Ok and then home to Albuquerque, NM. I35 North to Norman and then up to I40 and west to albuquerque, NM. I believe the whole trip is going to be around 700-800 miles. Roads are mixed, flat and hills and the better part of this is I’m taking a friend that is a Master Tech for Dodge/Ram so he is very familiar with the Cummins and Allison. We will be stopping in Amarillo for a little shut eye and then back in the road early am.

Choppers

Will look at my pile-O-stuff in my M923A1 and let you know what I have.

Probably tomorrow.

It's what I assembled for a 1100 mile solo trip, desert, mountain range, etc.

It isn't all I wanted and I was lucky.

Was solo. With no support network and limited mechanical skills.

Stand by

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the truck from a gov seller or a private party? Has it been serviced? Has it been used frequently or mostly parked? 800 miles in a unfamiliar 35 year old truck can be risky.

CNC2013

The truck is from a private seller and does not sit in a field. I believe it was purchased and driven from Indiana to TX last December and in March it was driven from TX to Arkansas and back. No problems during those drives. I believe they have the service records.

Choppers

What's on my M923A1 and M1078

Toilet paper
Zip ties
550 cord
100mph tape
Fuses
Hose clamps
Ether
Crow bar
Slave cables and adaptors
Big hammer
Siphon hose
Extra fluids and water
Tow bar
Light set
Good spare on rim + 1 tire
38 mm socket
20 v earthquake impact wrench (hf)
Chok blocks
20 ton Jack
20 ton Jack stand
2 Vs 17 panels
2 warning triangles
2 high vis vests
Road flares
Fire extinguisher
2 cheater bar pipes
Chemlites
Assorted screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers

Obviously, you cannot fly with some of that, but that's what stays on each truck

Hope this helps some

Would be interested in what I missed from others

CNC2013

Excellent list there Choppers and yes unfortunately I cannot take alot of that on the plane. The 38mm socket I assume is for the lug nuts right? Was going to buy and pack up some new belts but all the Napa P/N's I have found on this site don't seem to come up in the Napa Website. Maybe I just need to go into the store and ask an associate.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Muscles to work with and Sticktoitiveness are needed even if nothing breaks.
Cribbing and jacks and big stuff.
Battery backups for commo devices and warm clothes and sleeping equipment in case stuck out there someplace. Lots of batteries for your flashlights. List goes on and on even for under 600 miles.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wasp & Hornet spray; police the cab real good before hitting the road. I've had to stop and bail out after pulling away. Little buggers will wait attack, especially if they are cold from the night before.

Choppers

Cribbing!!!

Good catch.

I have a 24"x24"x4.5" base for my Jack's

and 2 each 4x4x18 and 24,

and 2 each 6x6x18 and 24.

All stays on the truck.

Bug juice and checking for critters is wise.

Got a long stick and still bang it around like a crazy man inside and out before hitting the road.

Once an angry opossum popped out of the battery box while I was driving...

Part of why I carry toilet paper wherever I go now...

CNC2013

Battery backups for commo devices and warm clothes and sleeping equipment in case stuck out there someplace. Lots of batteries for your flashlights. List goes on and on even for under 600 miles.
I have packed a flashlight, extra batteries, 1" drive breaker bar 10" ext, 38mm-1.5"-1.25 sockets, belts, blue tooth speaker, muffs, clothes, gloves, high temp sealant, Duct Tape, 2" ratchet strap, 10' 3/8 chain, HD Master Locks, screwdrivers, 3lb sledge, channel locks, side cutters, hose clamps, zip ties and electrical tape. Still under 50lb limit for SouthWest! :) Did I miss anything?

CNC2013

Cribbing!!!

Good catch.

I have a 24"x24"x4.5" base for my Jack's

and 2 each 4x4x18 and 24,

and 2 each 6x6x18 and 24.

All stays on the truck.

Bug juice and checking for critters is wise.

Got a long stick and still bang it around like a crazy man inside and out before hitting the road.

Once an angry opossum popped out of the battery box while I was driving...

Part of why I carry toilet paper wherever I go now...
That's funny but definitely great advice.

CNC2013

It's going to a be a very hot ride home...90+ with humidity so I'll stop and grab a few gallons of water when I fill her up for the first time.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
13/16” four point if your truck has duals. Also, you can borrow an outer rear for a blown front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks