Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Deuce?

Thanks

Default Canadian Deuce?

I caught the last few years of them in the CF, late 70's to early 80s, drove them constantly, never gave me a lick of trouble, never got me stuck or stranded, not once. Being a bigger guy, I was tasked to drive deuces everywhere we went, because they thought I'd have an easier time with the steering. I actually got a speeding ticket in one for 67 mph, (don't ask me how), and I've always wanted one...

Are they still out there? I saw a few in wrecking yards back in the late 80s, and they were pretty much trashed by then.

My eventual want would be a stocker with good bows and canvas, a winch, and not much else. Just like I drove back in the day...
    Sort of curious, I guess...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ErnieL For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-20-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,515 Posts

Default Build em or buy em,

What part of the world were you in when you drove them? I'm always looking for guys that have stories about the Early Deuce off road abilities and experiences. All adventures are welcome!

Did you service them too? Operators had a lot of responsibilities up north here but I haven't seen the American version of the Op manual. That'd be a cool read.

I'd say the good deuces are hiding in barns, the best ones are being driven weekly, stored on blocks out of the sun, fluids rotated regularly!

This deuce worked on a very special project between late 78 and the early 80's. The current owner bought it from gov surplus after it caught fire, feeding military members searching for a Soviet satellite! Project Morninglight began really in the fall of 7' but didn't roll out hard until January of 78'.

I was going to try and make this one whole again but the owners stripped the axles off it so the "Flying Kitchen" project is on hold for now. Being in the CF you may have eaten from a truck just like this!

Flying Kitchen.jpg
    Last edited by m1010plowboy; 06-19-2019 at 18:24.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to m1010plowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Reserve unit I first joined was in Saskatchewan. Then went Regular, and spent plenty of time in Lahr. Most of my early Deauce time was in the Army Reserve. I had a full time spot then, so even though I was a RadOp by trade, I did the supply runs, etc, anything to keep a guy busy.

I had plenty of off road experience, and quite honestly, with the cargo bed single wheel tandems, I never once got one stuck. EVER. If the truck "stopped moving", out went the winch cable, and pulled it free. We had wheel winches as well but I never used them. Going through the bush in low range was part of the big grin package that came with running these. About 20 gallons per mile that way, but who cared, right? This farm boy loved the big truck, small engine brag factor.
    One day in some town I had a greasy long haired smart ass kid pull up beside me in his ratty early 1970s Camaro. He looked up at me and said "wanna drag?" I just looked at him and said "Sure, let's get out the chains and see who drags who." Yeah, I was an A$$hole back then, but I didn't care.

A different story with the DRW hard box CP trucks, though. I got more than one of those things so bloody buried that we thought we'd need the big old Chinook sky hook to recover them. I wasn't all that popular with Brigade HQ when that happened, but screw it if they can't take a joke. They were the ones who insisted on crappy DRW instead of the go anywhere tall singles.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErnieL For This Useful Post:

m1010plowboy (06-19-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-20-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,515 Posts

It's a small world, we just acquired a Radar Base in Saskatchewan.........and have no idea how to operate it. https://westcentralcrossroads.ca/201...e-eager-owner/

There are a few M135's for sale on line. Do you want one complete or a fix'er up'er?

Do you have any winter road stories?

C'mon, let's go for a ride!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to m1010plowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Which base?? Alsask? Dad was a Radar Tech during the heyday of the Pinetree Line. I grew up on those bases.

Winter driving. One sticks in my mind. Driver training, actually. A young female Private was my trainee, and while coming north into the city from CFB MooseJaw, back then, the highway split into two separate one way streets. There was almost immediate long downgrade, and this young lady decided to lock the brakes at 25 mph halfway down the hill. The road was a smidgeon icy, it turns out. As is expected in February in Southern Sask.
    Well, we did at least two complete 360 degree loops on the grade until fading to portside. We bounced over the curb into a schoolyard, mashed a bike rack, and stopped about a foot from the front door. I think I loaded my drawers but was busy wrestling the wheel away from her. This happened right before the afternoon dismissal bell. The Principal came out, I filled out the report, placed her on the right bench, calmly backed out and went home.
    Feeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!
    Last edited by ErnieL; 06-19-2019 at 21:03.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ErnieL For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Drove these many miles both on and off road. |They are a great truck and could surprise you with what they were capable of. There are some around but not many and transmission parts are getting scarce. I found this one for sale near here. I know nothing about it and its not mine. Eddy
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks...ationFlag=true
    For every one hundred men you send us,
    Ten should not even be here.
    Eighty are nothing but targets.
    Nine of them are real fighters;
    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
    And he will bring the others back.

Eddy from the Great White Northhttp://www.steelsoldiers.com/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=41.112468789181&lng=-95.2734375&zoom=4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eaw46 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, I hope to eventually find the SRW version with the wheel wells in the bed. The troop carrier.
    Dang! 10K! But it is ready to go with a pumper, so I expect it makes sense.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ErnieL For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I’m wondering about getting these across the border. Would it be considered an antique truck or a “weapon of war”?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ErnieL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,650 Times in 2,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieL View Post
    Yeah, I hope to eventually find the SRW version with the wheel wells in the bed. The troop carrier.
    Dang! 10K! But it is ready to go with a pumper, so I expect it makes sense.
    This is in the classifieds; 1952 GMC M211 cargo truck

18. The Following User Says Thank You to porkysplace For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yup, saw that. But Iím looking for the hardtop M135 Canadian. Doesnít the M211 have a different cargo bed? Will an M135 cargo bed fit on the 211 frame?

What I CAN attest to was how happy one one hand, yet pissed off when they took our Deuces and gave us the MLVW. Yeah, power steering was ok, and at first I liked the diesel, at least until I saw one grenade after some putt had started it and set the hand throttle to a higher idle for it to warm up.
    I have no clue what happened other than the engine just started revving up slowly until it was screaming, then it nuked itself. I was on the other side of the vehicle park and saw the whole thing. The truck was brand new and none had been in service over a year.
    I saw them run away a few times, butt hat was the only one hat grenaded. Never did hear what caused that phenomenon. It seemed to be related to what RPM you set the throttle for. 1000 or less, it was OK, 12-1300, itíll overspeed.
    Last edited by ErnieL; 06-20-2019 at 11:35.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ErnieL For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast