Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Canadian Deuce?

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,914 Times in 1,574 Posts

Default CD EMO Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieL View Post
    Which base?? Alsask? Dad was a Radar Tech during the heyday of the Pinetree Line. I grew up on those bases.

Winter driving. One sticks in my mind. Driver training, actually. A young female Private was my trainee, and while coming north into the city from CFB MooseJaw, back then, the highway split into two separate one way streets. There was almost immediate long downgrade, and this young lady decided to lock the brakes at 25 mph halfway down the hill. The road was a smidgeon icy, it turns out. As is expected in February in Southern Sask.
    Well, we did at least two complete 360 degree loops on the grade until fading to portside. We bounced over the curb into a schoolyard, mashed a bike rack, and stopped about a foot from the front door. I think I loaded my drawers but was busy wrestling the wheel away from her. This happened right before the afternoon dismissal bell. The Principal came out, I filled out the report, placed her on the right bench, calmly backed out and went home.
    Feeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!
    Those are the stories that we can only find on Steel Soldiers! We've heard about ridiculous weights being hauled with the M135 and other stories about logistics knowing the weight of every load. What was your experience with max. weight loads?

I'd say you and your Dad are part of the reason we're here today so Thank You, to both of you, for your Service!

Alsask fell in to our laps last year and this year we're taking the first steps to lock our Continental Defence Story under the Dome! Any stories you can contribute, without busting the official secrets act, he whispers, would be saved to perpetuity!...or longer if I have my way!
    Alsaskcleanup18.jpg
    Canada Day will be our first subtle tribute to Canadian Civil Defence and the three forces that once existed in Canada. Our anthem will be played in French, English and a heart grabbing instrumental followed with a unique blast from a Civil Defence siren.

The kids on our museum board keep that facebook thing open to the public so you can look at the latest pictures and info without joining or signing in.
    https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCiv...umAndArchives/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to m1010plowboy For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-20-2019)

Thanks

Well, tet's just say that we never once were concerned about weights and never once did we even think to wonder.
    We'd be loaded up to the rails with ammo, plus a full water buffalo trailer on behind, and it didn't even break a sweat.
    I'll say it again, they were my favorite vehicle in all my military experience. yeah, the 113's were cool, but the old deuces were real soldiers.
    Last edited by ErnieL; 06-20-2019 at 17:45.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErnieL For This Useful Post:

m1010plowboy (06-20-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieL View Post
    We'd be loaded up to the rails with ammo, plus a full water buffalo trailer on behind, and it didn't even break a sweat.
    Do you have any pictures of the trucks you drove that you could upload on here for us to see?
    02-1952 M135 W/O #5314 - Reg. #4G3868 (winch added at some point in its life)
    01-1952 M135 W/O #4984 - Reg. #41143???
    12-1951 M135 W/O #3194 - Reg. #41122836 945th Maint Co, 945th Antiaircraft Artillery Bn., Milford Delaware
    11-1951 M135 W/O #556 - Reg. #41121215 5th Army, 816th Quartermaster, Ft. Leonard Wood

Video of #4984 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FUElX_64i4
    Video of #5314 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMiR2DT7Fo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to USMC 00-08 For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-21-2019)

Thanks

I'm sure I have one or two of our old deuces. But we didn't go around with cameras snapping random pictures of ourselves or our equipment. Pretty much all the old pics I have were sent by others who ran across them. I do have, somewhere, a few pics of some of our M211 CP units, but I'll have to look to find something of the cargo trucks.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErnieL For This Useful Post:

m1010plowboy (06-21-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-21-2019)

Thanks

I would be interested in the front axle if the flying kitchen is going to designated as parts and will fry no more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DUUANE For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-22-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2