• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a civilian 6.2L ignition switch work on a cucv M1028?

Hey guys I'm wondering if I could use a civilian 6.2 ignition switch on my M1028, I have the door key but the ignition keys vanished:)rant:auaaua:oops:). But since all cucv trucks are civilian chevrolets but with military modifications like 24v system, lower gears, etc... dad converted our M1028 back when I was around 2 or 3 because the ballast kept trying to burn up. But if a civilian 6.2L ignition switch wont work, who on the internet is the best to go to for a cucv ignition switch with keys? Boyce, hillbilly wizard, etc... you fellas tell me who would be the best in quality and price for a cucv ignition switch if a civilian 6.2L switch wont work. Thanks guys
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I guess I'm a little lost here. From the factory CUCVs have only one key that fits both the doors and the ignition. If you have a standard CUCV ignition cylinder you can easily get a key. To actually answer the question yes a civilian ignition switch works fine (which I guess you would have if a CUCV key won't fit your ignition switch).

I'm sorry about you getting a little lost there bud, it was originally my dads and when the injector pump croaked, he misplaced the keys and been lost ever since, but I got a door key made for it and now I just got the new pump and injectors for it from conestoga in the mail last night. Now I will go get the ignition switch. Thanks for the help evil dr. Porkchop :naner:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If your dad never changed the ignition cylinder then you don't need to buy one. Someone here on the site will probably mail you the key for free, seeing as we all have it.
If your dad never changed the ignition cylinder or the door locks then you already have the key.

Well after it was retired from the USMC, NASA bought it here in florida and they changed the ignition switch (for some reason)and after NASA my dad bought it. But I remember it having 2 keys always. But me and my dad later found out (him at the time in the early days of the internet since i was in diapers at the time) found out that all cucv trucks had only one key for the door and ignition. So we know NASA changed the switch at one point. But my dad got a key made for it at a lock Smith and he got it the same cut for the cucv lock and ignition switch and it fits the door, so I guess I should get a cucv ignition switch. Sorry for it sounding wishy washy. When I read that about having the key, it sparked me and I said to myself" I do have a key for it now, it's just the ignition itself that I need to replace back to a cucv ignition switch." Sorry for all the confusion, but thank you for the information there dr. Porkchop

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks