• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 -- A Couple Questions

twhill

Hello from Michigan everybody,

I am new to the world of MVs. Just got home from college and picked up a summer project, the CUCV M1009. I have spent a week reading through the forum and stickies. Really glad I found this! Sorry in advance if anything I ask has been covered, I did my best to look.

I picked up this truck non-running and it had been sitting behind a guys house for about 10 years. Got it home, cleaned up, some new diesel, new filter, and a couple batteries and she fired right up.

The first issue I came across is with GEN2, which I know has been covered a lot. I have checked through all the connections and I have all the right voltages in all the right places. When the key is in ignition the light comes on as it should, and then when started it stays on until I give it some RPMs. So when it is running it does charge, but when I turn on the lights, or a turn signal, or brake lights, it seems to stop charging and my voltage drops, which has been killing my batteries. When I turn the lights off I can hear a relay click and the voltage will go back up. I cannot figure out what's going on.

Another weird thing I noticed is that my truck only has two belts. They go around everything, but I see it should have three. Not sure what is going on there either. I am hoping to replace the old belts but I don't know if I should replace them as they are now or put on three new belts. Maybe this will help the alternator issue.

That is what I am working with right now. Sorry for the long post, I'm new.

Thanks,
Tom

IMG_7424.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS .
How old are the batteries ? Have they been load tested ?
Good fully charged batteries are a must before tracking down electrical gremlins. I know you mentioned the stickies , But there several threads in this thread
breaking things down . It could be a issue with the batteries , the charging system or the lighting circuit. You just got to keep testing .
[h=1]CUCV Helpful Threads[/h]

What part of michigan are you from might be somebody close who could help .

Last edited:

twhill

The batteries are a little on the older side. I should run and get them tested. Thanks for the advice.

I am in southeast michigan. Between Ann Arbor and Flint.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The batteries are a little on the older side. I should run and get them tested. Thanks for the advice.

I am in southeast michigan. Between Ann Arbor and Flint.
There a some members scattered out down that way , I'm in the saginaw area. You may want to check out this thread
[h=1]Lansing area monthly meet and eat[/h]They move the meeting place every month I don't see anything about july posted yet .

DeadParrot

It is likely the missing belt is the primary belt for the power steering pump. IIRC - it is the rear one. Goes around the main pulley, water pump and PS. A 2nd belt goes on the PS pump and the driver's side alt.

One of my Gen lights sometimes needs a RPM bump to go out but not always.

If you have a charger, fully charge the batteries before you do your testing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks