• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Transmission - Identify

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buying a transmission that I believe has been repaired. Want to make sure it is indeed a 4L80. Here's the serial Number: 9KYP709084062. It's from Fort Hood and has the blue repair sticker on it. Another question....does this blue sticker mean it's been repaired, or that it needs repair? thanx2022374_11703_0_0011.jpg

Wire Fox

The NSN on that tag is 2520-01-489-0850. This points back to a 4L80E. As well, that's a tag showing when, where, and how repairs were completed. Repaired in Ft Hood on "1319" (131st day of 2009? I'm not sure on the date code). Repaired per NMWR 9-2520-582.

papakb

In the military Julian Date system the first number is the last digit of the year and the following three digits are the day of the year. The system works well with one exception. In this case the 1 could represent 1991, 2001, or 2011. Nasa and the rest of the world use the Julian calendar whose first 2 digits are the last digits of the Gregorian Calendar year to avoid this issue. So your trans was probably rebuilt on November 14, 2011.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty simple to visually see a 4L80e trans...big wiring connector on drivers side and TISS/TOSS connectors.
Are the fluid lines on the passenger side 3in apart or 18in apart? That will tell you if it’s post or pre 97.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty simple to visually see a 4L80e trans...big wiring connector on drivers side and TISS/TOSS connectors.
Are the fluid lines on the passenger side 3in apart or 18in apart? That will tell you if it’s post or pre 97.
I have never taken one out, or put on in. Thank you....it is a 4L80.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks