• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mildew advice?

warcow105

The overly rainy weather in NJ lately has caused the inside of my truck to start smelling of mildew. Does anyone have any good tricks for dealing with mildew inside the truck? I would just spray everything down with bleach, but I don't want to bleach out the color in the seat cushions.

Mike

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had the issue in my HMMWV yet, but for other vehicles I'll run a dehumidifier in them to remove all the moisture that I can, then run an ozone generator to get rid of any leftover smells.
The HMMWV doesn't seal up as well as a civilian vehicle though, so might not work as well. Might have to just leave the dehumidifier in it until all the rain stops. Plus side is, you have plenty of places in the floor to run the drain hose through so you don't have to pay attention to the water level in the collection tank.

tobyS

Put a heavy tarp over it that will keep the water out. Set up a fan to dry it out. If you don't keep the water out, you are fighting a losing battle.

warcow105

All great ideas I will try, but what about killing and cleaning the existing mildew? Will a solution of water and bleach ruin the color of the seats? Anyone have a favorite non bleach mold and mildew killer?

Thanks,
Mike

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All great ideas I will try, but what about killing and cleaning the existing mildew? Will a solution of water and bleach ruin the color of the seats? Anyone have a favorite non bleach mold and mildew killer?

Thanks,
Mike
I think bleach is a bad idea.

Dish soap and a water hose. Then exposure to direct sunlight. UV kills it dead.

The above has been sufficient for KS climate. It probably would not be for GA/FL. AZ requires no moisture interventions. I have no experience with NJ so no idea there...

Dehumidifier vs desiccant - my preference is a dehumidifier, given enough space for it and a power source. Desiccant is ok for spaces that are closed up with no air exchange, like the inside of a safe.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove all padding, pressure wash the inside, pressure wash the mats or buy new ones.
I use the floor paid retainers sparingly, or nor at all, the pads and dirt, now mud...trap moisture.
by not securing them to the floor, you can peel them back and let things dry out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks