• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m108 Crane Truck Project

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Took a look at the front axle, I don’t see a whole lot wrong with it. The only thing keeping it from moving was the brakes. Once I got the drums off it all moves just fine. There was a little water in the hubs and a little bit in the diff but not very much at all.

The wheel bearings look decent, the axle shafts look decent, spindles, etc all look ok. There isn’t any play in anything or noise just turning it by hand. Nothing exciting on the drain plug magnet either.

Someone must have liked this truck back in the day. The lockrings and outside edges of the duals are all painted silver. Some interesting non standard wheels on the front tandem as well.:shock: They look like Firestone RH-5s to me, actual “widowmaker” wheels. I should probably junk those.

Attachments

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
All the floodlight parts and some field chock sockets have arrived. Forum member Dead pilot helped me out by picking up and shipping those from California. I can see why the light brackets were left off the later wreckers, they’re heavy and complicated (but pretty cool in my opinion).
I sanded down one of the doors and the hood before those go to scrap. Under the US Army markings on the doors was the same thing in another font, then just all yellow. Under the Army markings on the hood was what looks to be USAF in black letters and then nothing else. No registration numbers found or Army stars either.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Done any more to the m108. I’m still working on mine 7 years in. Lol
Unfortunately nothing has been done to the m108 lately, work and too many other projects have gotten in the way as usual. Also added a working m62 wrecker to the fleet a while back which will probably end up ahead of the crane on the list.
Since the last update I did acquire the original weightball/hook for it and hopefully enough outriggers to make a complete set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks