• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tuck this one away in the recesses of your brain: Modulator Cable Stretch...

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The end of a long journey. Bought an auction HMMWV stating it had a bad tranny and wouldn't shift into 3rd. I thought, ok, it's the modulator cable. I'll replace it. (After confirming with members here...).

Drained the fluid, it was black and smelly and had water in it. Decided to rebuild, did. (Rebuilt a second as well.)

Put the tranny back in. (Something I won't do again, I hope.) Replaced the modulator cable with a donor.

Shifted manually. Wouldn't go into 3rd except when we pulled the cable. Tightened all of the play out - till there was no more threads left. No worky.

Cut 3/4" off the cable, bought a 3/32 ferule and crimped it on.

Works like a charm!

Last edited:

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, that was not my issue. It was simply not shifting into 3rd when in drive. Have not checked kickdown yet. Just wanted to shift into 3rd normally as a start...

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kickdown circuit tested fine and worked. Very glad this crazy-priced thing which amounts to a small normally open switch worked.

If the thing won't go into 3rd on its own, modulator first since the switch is normally open anyway. The modulator is 100% mechanical and the cable did its job if pulled manually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks