• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for ideas for custom DIY grills for M1078

SteelCaesar

My agency’s M1078 is in need of a grill but don’t want to spend a whole bunch of money. We have several talented mechanics that have metal fab skills so I was hoping to find some inspiration on here for a custom grill. So if you have pictures of your custom grills let’s see em.

SteelCaesar

Really there’s got to be some more people out there who have made their own custom made grills. I saw the guy in the classifieds and his are nice but i want one that we made. I guess I will have to find some inspiration somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelCaesar

I was thinking some flat plate with cut outs with expanded steel behind them. Just wanted to see what others have used and problems they encountered with this kind of project. Would think 1/8” thick plate be sturdy enough so it wouldn’t flap around if I used the factory mounting points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronmar

I am think 1/8” would be extreme overkill... The problem you will run into with 1/8 Plate is bending it to cleanly match the curvature of the front of the cab...

I was planning on no thicker than 16ga. I will cut ribs to match the cab curve with a plas, weld them together in a grid/frame and then I can form the skin over those curved ribs. I was thinking slats behind the openings or some patterned expanded sheet. I have a whole sheet of 18ga with 1/2” holes, but that might look a little strange for backing.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks