• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remold tire from Treadwright anyone?

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a set but the stock two piece Humvee rims could not be balanced to the level I wanted. I decided to go with H1 wheels. For the short time I had them they seemed fine. Much better than the old military tires that I had. Can't beat the price.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never had faith in re-treads, and these appear to be re-treads.

What's safety worth?

Now I know tons of people buy retreads, and lots of people might respond to tell me they have only driven re-treads AND they swear by them. And that's OK. I'm going on my personal experience.

I had a set go bad and de-laminate. Every time I'm on an interstate going for a long drive I see the treads lying on the road.

I just don't personally feel good about them. IMHO, YMMV.

Tires are the one thing where we should not skimp. They are the only thing that touches the road (unless, things go really badly).

sniderbm

+1 for the LT Warden series. I haven't had a chance to see how well they do off-road compared to their inspiration tire but they seem to do perfectly fine in normal driving.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never had faith in re-treads, and these appear to be re-treads...
Well, on the sidewall it clearly reads REMOLD IN USA.

Remold.PNG

While "remolding" certainly IS a way of retreading a tire, there is a big difference in the process, for each:
Retreading Pre Cure VS Remolds

Gear junkie's independent test report of the TW-Guard Dog tires, (a longer read) here...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have never had faith in re-treads, and these appear to be re-treads.

What's safety worth?

Now I know tons of people buy retreads, and lots of people might respond to tell me they have only driven re-treads AND they swear by them. And that's OK. I'm going on my personal experience.

I had a set go bad and de-laminate. Every time I'm on an interstate going for a long drive I see the treads lying on the road.

I just don't personally feel good about them. IMHO, YMMV.

Tires are the one thing where we should not skimp. They are the only thing that touches the road (unless, things go really badly).
There is a big difference in remold and retreads. If you have ever flown on an airplane then there is a 95 percent chance the plane had a remolded tire on it.

A retread is simply glued back on. The remolded tires encase new rubber and cut it out after the treatment process.

Wire Fox

Honestly, looking at the process, I think that these actually look pretty good. If I couldn't find newer, used surplus tires in my area for a reasonable price, I'd absolutely give these a shot. They don't quite leave the same bad taste as traditional retreads do.

teteacher101

A friend of mine has been using them for years and has gotten several others to use them as well-including me. His family owns a heavy equipment business an they see a large volume of tires in various sizes and brands an they have nothing but good things to say about them. I have been very happy with them an have recommended them to others also and they have followed suit with using their tires as well.

Like previously mentioned they are a complete remold and not a retread, the video on their process is pretty interesting to watch an I have heard that customer service and quality control is good as well-although the people I know have not had an issue with any of the tires. The one set I bought were the "blemish" discounted ones-I have no idea what the blemish was as I went over them with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find anything. I also got the ones that have the crushed walnut shells an glass in the tread and they grip very well in snow.

mrmikey

they make great tires. i ran them on my jeeps for a long time, and have a lot of farm friends who all run them on their trucks too

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks