Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: VIC-1 bailout cable question

  1. #1
    Colonel tcruwithme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 77 Times in 45 Posts

    Question VIC-1 bailout cable question

    Hello,

    I am slowly collecting parts to build a VIC-1 system in my truck, and I hope someone can advise me on the bailout cables. I got two 80063 SM-D-937438 bailout cables from a vendor on eBay a couple years ago, and I see there is another version of the bailout cable with number 80065 SM-D-937438. Are these the same cables with the same use/capabilites? Beltfed34 on eBay said in a post for the 80065 version that he thinks it enables VIC-3 headsets to be used with the VIC-1 system. My hope is that I can use two Bose T5 headsets with the 80063 SM-D-937438 bailout cables and my VIC-1 system with success. Any guidance you can offer is greatly appreciated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1984 AMG M35A2C w/w
    1992 VSE M105A2 w/3-color soft cover
    2000 DRS Fermont MEP-802A

  2. #2
    4 Star General
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 695 Times in 421 Posts

    Default

    80063 is the cage code for the US Army CECOM group. Communications and Electronics Command. You'll see this designation on almost all the Sincgars related pieces. The actual part number is the SM-D number.

    The Commercial And Government Entity (CAGE) Code is a five-character ID number used extensively within the federal government, assigned by the Department of Defense's Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). Every company the DLA buys from has one assigned to them.



  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papakb For This Useful Post:

    Guyfang (06-24-2019), tcruwithme (06-23-2019)

  4. #3
    Colonel tcruwithme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 77 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    Thank you. Good to know these are the same parts made by different suppliers. Now, I need to figure out if this bailout cable does indeed adapt a VIC-3 headset (such as the Bose T5) to the VIC-1 system (AM-1780). Thanks again for your help!


    Quote Originally Posted by papakb View Post
    80063 is the cage code for the US Army CECOM group. Communications and Electronics Command. You'll see this designation on almost all the Sincgars related pieces. The actual part number is the SM-D number.

    The Commercial And Government Entity (CAGE) Code is a five-character ID number used extensively within the federal government, assigned by the Department of Defense's Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). Every company the DLA buys from has one assigned to them.


    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1984 AMG M35A2C w/w
    1992 VSE M105A2 w/3-color soft cover
    2000 DRS Fermont MEP-802A

  5. #4
    4 Star General
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 695 Times in 421 Posts

    Default

    There are two different styles of bail out cables that were used with military headsets. Both styles use a standard UG-229 (5 pin) or UG-329 (6 pin) connector to attach to the radio. The breakaway connector on the early style bailout cables looks like the top of a 9 volt battery with 2 sets of connectors side by side. The later style bailout cable uses a single circular connector. I have headsets from Bose, David Clark, General Dynamics and Racal Audio but can't confirm that all the cables will interchange even though they use the same connectors. The pinout of the UG-229/329 connectors is a fixed standard so as long as you used cables made by the manufacturer of the headset you should be OK.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to papakb For This Useful Post:

    tcruwithme (06-24-2019)

  7. #5
    Colonel tcruwithme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 77 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    Thanks again for your help. I am new to this military radio hobby and have been piecing together a system for the past couple of years. I looked through my collection of equipment I have gathered and opened the pair of H-161E/U headsets. Sure enough, they came with the CX-8650B/GR bailout cables. Here is a picture of those cables for any other interested people:

    Astrocom_10309C(1).jpg Astrocom_10309C(2).jpg

    Here are a couple pictures of the newer bailout cable SM-D-937438:

    SM-D-937438(1).jpg SM-D-937438(2).jpg

    I sent a message to Bose asking about the bailout cable for the T5 headset. They responded quickly and said they do not sell the bailout cable. They directed me to UNICOR-Federal Prison Industries (FPI), Electronics Business Group (EBG). I'll contact them next.

    Thanks again.


    Quote Originally Posted by papakb View Post
    There are two different styles of bail out cables that were used with military headsets. Both styles use a standard UG-229 (5 pin) or UG-329 (6 pin) connector to attach to the radio. The breakaway connector on the early style bailout cables looks like the top of a 9 volt battery with 2 sets of connectors side by side. The later style bailout cable uses a single circular connector. I have headsets from Bose, David Clark, General Dynamics and Racal Audio but can't confirm that all the cables will interchange even though they use the same connectors. The pinout of the UG-229/329 connectors is a fixed standard so as long as you used cables made by the manufacturer of the headset you should be OK.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1984 AMG M35A2C w/w
    1992 VSE M105A2 w/3-color soft cover
    2000 DRS Fermont MEP-802A

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to tcruwithme For This Useful Post:

    Guyfang (06-24-2019)

  9. #6
    4 Star General 86humv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    High Desert ca and Texas
    Posts
    1,174
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 334 Times in 235 Posts

    Default

    I took a vic 1 system and used the newer SM-D-937438 bail out cables for testing headsets :
    H-370/vrc works.
    H-366/vrc don't work.
    Racal 5000 don't work.....and I assume bose wont work, because they work same as Racal 5000's.
    86 hmmwv
    M1102
    M101A2
    Lots a hmmwv parts

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to 86humv For This Useful Post:

    tcruwithme (06-24-2019)

  11. #7
    4 Star General
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 695 Times in 421 Posts

    Default

    The Bose and Racal headsets need bias power for the mics that isn't provided by the 1780 and most of the older radios and that's why they won't work. If the radios audio connector is a 6 pin connector you still need to be careful because some sets use pin F as a power pin and some use is as a radio data fill pin. When you see 6 pin connectors on telephone sets it's usually used with the H-350 handset as a hotmic pin so you don't need to hit the PTT switch to use them.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to papakb For This Useful Post:

    tcruwithme (06-25-2019)

  13. #8
    Colonel tcruwithme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 77 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    Thank you for sharing your testing results. Is the H-370/VRC a better headset than the H-161E/U? It looks to be newer, but I have never used either headset.



    Quote Originally Posted by 86humv View Post
    I took a vic 1 system and used the newer SM-D-937438 bail out cables for testing headsets :
    H-370/vrc works.
    H-366/vrc don't work.
    Racal 5000 don't work.....and I assume bose wont work, because they work same as Racal 5000's.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1984 AMG M35A2C w/w
    1992 VSE M105A2 w/3-color soft cover
    2000 DRS Fermont MEP-802A

  14. #9
    4 Star General 86humv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    High Desert ca and Texas
    Posts
    1,174
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 334 Times in 235 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcruwithme View Post
    Thank you for sharing your testing results. Is the H-370/VRC a better headset than the H-161E/U? It looks to be newer, but I have never used either headset.
    Much better and better bail out system.
    One thing to look for in the H370 headsets is the ear pads eventually will start oozing silicon out the bottom vent hole.
    86 hmmwv
    M1102
    M101A2
    Lots a hmmwv parts

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to 86humv For This Useful Post:

    tcruwithme (06-25-2019)

  16. #10
    Colonel tcruwithme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 77 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    Thanks again. I ordered a set of NOS H-370 headsets from a vendor on eBay. It looks like I will soon have a new/unused set of Bose T5 headsets to sell (single com, monaural design). When I learned that I would not be using them, I sent them in to Bose for warranty work. The back cover of the PTT control box would not stay together. If I was to use them, I would have glued the cover on or used a rubber band to hold the PTT box together. However, a nice headset like this should be built better. So, they are now at Bose getting serviced under warranty.

    Quote Originally Posted by 86humv View Post
    Much better and better bail out system.
    One thing to look for in the H370 headsets is the ear pads eventually will start oozing silicon out the bottom vent hole.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1984 AMG M35A2C w/w
    1992 VSE M105A2 w/3-color soft cover
    2000 DRS Fermont MEP-802A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •