• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 bailout cable question

tcruwithme

Hello,

I am slowly collecting parts to build a VIC-1 system in my truck, and I hope someone can advise me on the bailout cables. I got two 80063 SM-D-937438 bailout cables from a vendor on eBay a couple years ago, and I see there is another version of the bailout cable with number 80065 SM-D-937438. Are these the same cables with the same use/capabilites? Beltfed34 on eBay said in a post for the 80065 version that he thinks it enables VIC-3 headsets to be used with the VIC-1 system. My hope is that I can use two Bose T5 headsets with the 80063 SM-D-937438 bailout cables and my VIC-1 system with success. Any guidance you can offer is greatly appreciated.

papakb

80063 is the cage code for the US Army CECOM group. Communications and Electronics Command. You'll see this designation on almost all the Sincgars related pieces. The actual part number is the SM-D number.

The Commercial And Government Entity (CAGE) Code is a five-character ID number used extensively within the federal government, assigned by the Department of Defense's Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). Every company the DLA buys from has one assigned to them.

tcruwithme

Thank you. Good to know these are the same parts made by different suppliers. Now, I need to figure out if this bailout cable does indeed adapt a VIC-3 headset (such as the Bose T5) to the VIC-1 system (AM-1780). Thanks again for your help!

80063 is the cage code for the US Army CECOM group. Communications and Electronics Command. You'll see this designation on almost all the Sincgars related pieces. The actual part number is the SM-D number.

The Commercial And Government Entity (CAGE) Code is a five-character ID number used extensively within the federal government, assigned by the Department of Defense's Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). Every company the DLA buys from has one assigned to them.

papakb

There are two different styles of bail out cables that were used with military headsets. Both styles use a standard UG-229 (5 pin) or UG-329 (6 pin) connector to attach to the radio. The breakaway connector on the early style bailout cables looks like the top of a 9 volt battery with 2 sets of connectors side by side. The later style bailout cable uses a single circular connector. I have headsets from Bose, David Clark, General Dynamics and Racal Audio but can't confirm that all the cables will interchange even though they use the same connectors. The pinout of the UG-229/329 connectors is a fixed standard so as long as you used cables made by the manufacturer of the headset you should be OK.

tcruwithme

Thanks again for your help. I am new to this military radio hobby and have been piecing together a system for the past couple of years. I looked through my collection of equipment I have gathered and opened the pair of H-161E/U headsets. Sure enough, they came with the CX-8650B/GR bailout cables. Here is a picture of those cables for any other interested people:

Astrocom_10309C(1).jpg Astrocom_10309C(2).jpg

Here are a couple pictures of the newer bailout cable SM-D-937438:

SM-D-937438(1).jpg SM-D-937438(2).jpg

I sent a message to Bose asking about the bailout cable for the T5 headset. They responded quickly and said they do not sell the bailout cable. They directed me to UNICOR-Federal Prison Industries (FPI), Electronics Business Group (EBG). I'll contact them next.

Thanks again.

There are two different styles of bail out cables that were used with military headsets. Both styles use a standard UG-229 (5 pin) or UG-329 (6 pin) connector to attach to the radio. The breakaway connector on the early style bailout cables looks like the top of a 9 volt battery with 2 sets of connectors side by side. The later style bailout cable uses a single circular connector. I have headsets from Bose, David Clark, General Dynamics and Racal Audio but can't confirm that all the cables will interchange even though they use the same connectors. The pinout of the UG-229/329 connectors is a fixed standard so as long as you used cables made by the manufacturer of the headset you should be OK.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a vic 1 system and used the newer SM-D-937438 bail out cables for testing headsets :
H-370/vrc works.
H-366/vrc don't work.
Racal 5000 don't work.....and I assume bose wont work, because they work same as Racal 5000's.

papakb

The Bose and Racal headsets need bias power for the mics that isn't provided by the 1780 and most of the older radios and that's why they won't work. If the radios audio connector is a 6 pin connector you still need to be careful because some sets use pin F as a power pin and some use is as a radio data fill pin. When you see 6 pin connectors on telephone sets it's usually used with the H-350 handset as a hotmic pin so you don't need to hit the PTT switch to use them.

tcruwithme

Thank you for sharing your testing results. Is the H-370/VRC a better headset than the H-161E/U? It looks to be newer, but I have never used either headset.

I took a vic 1 system and used the newer SM-D-937438 bail out cables for testing headsets :
H-370/vrc works.
H-366/vrc don't work.
Racal 5000 don't work.....and I assume bose wont work, because they work same as Racal 5000's.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for sharing your testing results. Is the H-370/VRC a better headset than the H-161E/U? It looks to be newer, but I have never used either headset.
Much better and better bail out system.
One thing to look for in the H370 headsets is the ear pads eventually will start oozing silicon out the bottom vent hole.

tcruwithme

Thanks again. I ordered a set of NOS H-370 headsets from a vendor on eBay. It looks like I will soon have a new/unused set of Bose T5 headsets to sell (single com, monaural design). When I learned that I would not be using them, I sent them in to Bose for warranty work. The back cover of the PTT control box would not stay together. If I was to use them, I would have glued the cover on or used a rubber band to hold the PTT box together. However, a nice headset like this should be built better. So, they are now at Bose getting serviced under warranty.

Much better and better bail out system.
One thing to look for in the H370 headsets is the ear pads eventually will start oozing silicon out the bottom vent hole.

CMPPhil

Hi

If you are going to depend on the bailout connection to disconnect, remember to wear both the neck and chest strap. It is uncomfortable, without them, to reach the end of the cable length half way to the ground when you jump down from the cab of the truck. Without the straps your ears will take a beating as it tries to rip them off before the bailout cable disconnects.

Cheers Phil

DaninNM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to use a pair of newish CVC helmets with the Bose ANC provision - was told that the bias or ANC circuit voltage can be provided in the VIC-1 system by finding an unused pin in the VIC-1 connection cord, jumpering voltage from the 1780 to that pin (through the 2296/7/or 8).
Anyone try this? Maybe that's why the H366 and Racal bail out cords don't work - being earlier non-ANC versions witihout the voltage to feed the internal ANC circuity in the newer headset CVCs?! Thoughts, comments? 'Don't Do Its?'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks