Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Joined the club with an 18,000lb paperweight this week.

Corporal
    Thanks

Default Joined the club with an 18,000lb paperweight this week.

First of all, hats off to you guys for existing, definitely would have had a rough time without the data goldmine that is this forum.

But to cut to the chase, I'm now the owner-in-waiting of a 1997 BAE Systems M1078. Non-runner with 2007 miles on it, so curious to see what got blown up in that short of a time period, but not too shabby from a visual standpoint. Looking forward to lugging this thing home, and seeing what ails this old beast.

For now, time to join the ranks of those waiting for their EUC ...

1836974_6002_159_0001.jpg1836974_6002_161_0001.jpg1836974_6003_3359_0001.jpg
    Last edited by themeec; 06-23-2019 at 20:36.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to themeec For This Useful Post:

DJones (10-11-2019), DREDnot (06-24-2019), Karl kostman (10-16-2019)

Thanks

Welcome ! There's no better place to put your time and effort. I call this my last big project.
    Remember that tiny cut you forgot about? Brake cleaner remembers.....

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,719 Times in 1,974 Posts

EUC? when did that start for FMTVs? Couple of data points, your truck likely went through a rebuild given the upgraded marker lights and front panel. The miles shown are since a new speedo was installed, not actual.

Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NDT View Post
    EUC? when did that start for FMTVs? Couple of data points, your truck likely went through a rebuild given the upgraded marker lights and front panel. The miles shown are since a new speedo was installed, not actual.
    Unsure on the EUC, was simply part of the required process when checking out my final invoice. Good to know on the rebuild, that definitely makes more sense. Just did a quick bit of digging on the subject of rebuilt LMTV's, was this the process you're describing? https://alu.army.mil/alog/issues/sep...resetfmtv.html

Sergeant Major wandering neurons's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice rig - not only the upgrade lights, but also a nice newer-style grill in the front.
    I can see one reason it's not a runner: the rear drive shaft disassembled in the cab. First thing I'd find a good truck driveline shop and take the shaft down for rebuild. Probably do the front as well at the same time.
    Then inspect the engine for missing parts, like alternator nuts and bolts, and the bolts for the bracket between the air compressor and the power steering pump. That was severely messed up on my truck, but got noticed and fixed in short order.
    Welcome, and enjoy!
    1994 M1081 LVAD "Goliath"
    1999 Jurassic Truck Corp. T-Rex (HMMWV kit-truck) - now Zombie Emergency Response Vehicle
    2014 Honda Ridgeline
    RIP:
    1998 BMW 540i/6 (now in great Graveyard in the Sky)
    M35A1 (long time ago, far, far away)

Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wandering neurons View Post
    Very nice rig - not only the upgrade lights, but also a nice newer-style grill in the front.
    I can see one reason it's not a runner: the rear drive shaft disassembled in the cab. First thing I'd find a good truck driveline shop and take the shaft down for rebuild. Probably do the front as well at the same time.
    Then inspect the engine for missing parts, like alternator nuts and bolts, and the bolts for the bracket between the air compressor and the power steering pump. That was severely messed up on my truck, but got noticed and fixed in short order.
    Welcome, and enjoy!
    Yeah, at first when I was going through the listing, I saw the part about the drive shafts being removed ... fancy my surprise when the next photo showed them in the front seats (un-bent if you can believe to too)! One of the reasons I decided to go for it, that, and it's only about a day's drive from me. Makes shipping cheap and easy.

I'm guessing the fun lies under the cab, so will see how it pans out. I've been budgeting for transmission, engine and drivetrain goodies, in case there's something disastrous lurking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by themeec View Post
    Yeah, at first when I was going through the listing, I saw the part about the drive shafts being removed ... fancy my surprise when the next photo showed them in the front seats (un-bent if you can believe to too)! One of the reasons I decided to go for it, that, and it's only about a day's drive from me. Makes shipping cheap and easy.

I'm guessing the fun lies under the cab, so will see how it pans out. I've been budgeting for transmission, engine and drivetrain goodies, in case there's something disastrous lurking.
    Shaft removal is SOP for a flat tow via tow bar.

I was watching that truck just for run and it was *super* clean.

Just work your way thru the TM troubleshooting guide and I be you find the issue asap...

Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Third From Texas View Post
    Shaft removal is SOP for a flat tow via tow bar.
    I was watching that truck just for run and it was *super* clean.
    Just work your way thru the TM troubleshooting guide and I be you find the issue asap...
    Yeah, was mostly happy to see the shafts were still with the truck, and not pilfered. Speaking of, the amount of bits and pieces still on the truck was impressive, as you say, so I'm definitely happy to have snagged this one.

Thanks

we call that "lawn art" here....
    [Monty Python scene from "The Life of Brian"] You got sand in your Vaseline? You lucky bastard. All I got was sand. No Vaseline at all. I only wish I got some Vaseline. Even a little drop. You bloody favorite... [/Python]

Thanks

Nice truck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast