Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Joined the club with an 18,000lb paperweight this week.

  1. #1
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Joined the club with an 18,000lb paperweight this week.

    First of all, hats off to you guys for existing, definitely would have had a rough time without the data goldmine that is this forum.

    But to cut to the chase, I'm now the owner-in-waiting of a 1997 BAE Systems M1078. Non-runner with 2007 miles on it, so curious to see what got blown up in that short of a time period, but not too shabby from a visual standpoint. Looking forward to lugging this thing home, and seeing what ails this old beast.

    For now, time to join the ranks of those waiting for their EUC ...

    1836974_6002_159_0001.jpg1836974_6002_161_0001.jpg1836974_6003_3359_0001.jpg
    Last edited by themeec; 06-23-2019 at 20:36.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to themeec For This Useful Post:

    DJones (10-11-2019), DREDnot (06-24-2019), Karl kostman (10-16-2019)

  3. #2
    General Reworked LMTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    455
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked 265 Times in 123 Posts

    Default

    Welcome ! There's no better place to put your time and effort. I call this my last big project.
    Remember that tiny cut you forgot about? Brake cleaner remembers.....

  4. #3
    4 Star General NDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Camp Wood/LC, TX
    MVPA
    4954
    Posts
    7,325
    Thanks
    2,144
    Thanked 3,719 Times in 1,974 Posts

    Default

    EUC? when did that start for FMTVs? Couple of data points, your truck likely went through a rebuild given the upgraded marker lights and front panel. The miles shown are since a new speedo was installed, not actual.

  5. #4
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDT View Post
    EUC? when did that start for FMTVs? Couple of data points, your truck likely went through a rebuild given the upgraded marker lights and front panel. The miles shown are since a new speedo was installed, not actual.
    Unsure on the EUC, was simply part of the required process when checking out my final invoice. Good to know on the rebuild, that definitely makes more sense. Just did a quick bit of digging on the subject of rebuilt LMTV's, was this the process you're describing? https://alu.army.mil/alog/issues/sep...resetfmtv.html

  6. #5
    Sergeant Major wandering neurons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 92 Times in 55 Posts

    Default

    Very nice rig - not only the upgrade lights, but also a nice newer-style grill in the front.
    I can see one reason it's not a runner: the rear drive shaft disassembled in the cab. First thing I'd find a good truck driveline shop and take the shaft down for rebuild. Probably do the front as well at the same time.
    Then inspect the engine for missing parts, like alternator nuts and bolts, and the bolts for the bracket between the air compressor and the power steering pump. That was severely messed up on my truck, but got noticed and fixed in short order.
    Welcome, and enjoy!
    1994 M1081 LVAD "Goliath"
    1999 Jurassic Truck Corp. T-Rex (HMMWV kit-truck) - now Zombie Emergency Response Vehicle
    2014 Honda Ridgeline
    RIP:
    1998 BMW 540i/6 (now in great Graveyard in the Sky)
    M35A1 (long time ago, far, far away)

  7. #6
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wandering neurons View Post
    Very nice rig - not only the upgrade lights, but also a nice newer-style grill in the front.
    I can see one reason it's not a runner: the rear drive shaft disassembled in the cab. First thing I'd find a good truck driveline shop and take the shaft down for rebuild. Probably do the front as well at the same time.
    Then inspect the engine for missing parts, like alternator nuts and bolts, and the bolts for the bracket between the air compressor and the power steering pump. That was severely messed up on my truck, but got noticed and fixed in short order.
    Welcome, and enjoy!
    Yeah, at first when I was going through the listing, I saw the part about the drive shafts being removed ... fancy my surprise when the next photo showed them in the front seats (un-bent if you can believe to too)! One of the reasons I decided to go for it, that, and it's only about a day's drive from me. Makes shipping cheap and easy.

    I'm guessing the fun lies under the cab, so will see how it pans out. I've been budgeting for transmission, engine and drivetrain goodies, in case there's something disastrous lurking.

  8. #7
    Colonel Third From Texas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 148 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by themeec View Post
    Yeah, at first when I was going through the listing, I saw the part about the drive shafts being removed ... fancy my surprise when the next photo showed them in the front seats (un-bent if you can believe to too)! One of the reasons I decided to go for it, that, and it's only about a day's drive from me. Makes shipping cheap and easy.

    I'm guessing the fun lies under the cab, so will see how it pans out. I've been budgeting for transmission, engine and drivetrain goodies, in case there's something disastrous lurking.
    Shaft removal is SOP for a flat tow via tow bar.

    I was watching that truck just for run and it was *super* clean.

    Just work your way thru the TM troubleshooting guide and I be you find the issue asap...

  9. #8
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Third From Texas View Post
    Shaft removal is SOP for a flat tow via tow bar.
    I was watching that truck just for run and it was *super* clean.
    Just work your way thru the TM troubleshooting guide and I be you find the issue asap...
    Yeah, was mostly happy to see the shafts were still with the truck, and not pilfered. Speaking of, the amount of bits and pieces still on the truck was impressive, as you say, so I'm definitely happy to have snagged this one.

  10. #9
    Colonel mhb285's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Paso Robles, Calif.
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    we call that "lawn art" here....
    [Monty Python scene from "The Life of Brian"] You got sand in your Vaseline? You lucky bastard. All I got was sand. No Vaseline at all. I only wish I got some Vaseline. Even a little drop. You bloody favorite... [/Python]

  11. #10
    3 Star General SCM35A2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    963
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 853 Times in 427 Posts

    Default

    Nice truck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •