• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab interior coating removel.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So like many people have already done I started the removal process of the interior coating. Started trying to grind it out and after 45 seconds stopped. A dust storm ensued with very little progress. Also reminds me to not grind with my tongue out... Next was using a heat gun and gasket scrapper. Quiet, no dust but hot and slow. I noticed when I hit the gasket remover with a mallet it would brake off decent size chunks and wondered if an air hammer would help the process along.
Stopped by the tool place grabbed an air hammer that could adjust incoming air pressure and a longer shafted chisel that could be used parallel to the surface. I dialed down the pressure, made sure the tip was flat tot he surface and began removing the undercoating with large chunks without damage to the cab. Took about 15 minutes to remove 95% of the coating on the drivers side. another 15 min to remove passenger side. Kind of got a head of myself as I have yet to remove the hardware necessary to remove the covering that protects the doghouse.
If that hadn't worked My next step was to try Dry Ice and chisel. I have done that on gooier undercoating on racecars.

YMMV,
Blair

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks