• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A Lister Engine Build Number

tktsales

I am attempting to buy parts from Lister Petter vs. ordering from Onan. I cannot reference the Onan engine SN as it means nothing to LP, They want to know what the engine Build number is? I have the LP master Parts manual here and there is a build number 74 that calls out Onan Genset build but when you go to the throttle control section that build number does not seem to jive with group "F" which is Build 74.. Does anyone know what the correct LP Engine build number would be for this engine. I tried to search the archives but could not find anything so thought this might be good info to have if someone knows. Below are a few PDFs from the LP manual and a photo of my throttle controls.. It might not even matter for the parts I currently need but would be nice to have for reference.. I hope these PDFs work. I can upload the entire master parts manual if someone would be kind enough to instruct me how to do that.. Thank you for all your help..

View attachment LP Build numbers.pdfView attachment LP Thottle Controls.pdfMEP803A.PNG

tktsales

Just to add I know its likely going to be a fixed 1800 RPM build and controls look like Group D. I just hate to guess at things like this as I need some Governor parts. Looks to me like it could be Build 18, 72 or 174

tktsales

The LPW4 is just the model number.. There seems to be a lengthy list of variables within the model for Lister. They need this build number and after looking at both my units I don't see Lister tag on either of them. I am sure that is purposely done. Onan does not want me to buy parts from Lister, They want all the markup in their pocket so they intentionally make it difficult.. Many parts will be common between all the LPW4 engines but I need the Governor springs in which case the specific build number is going to be rather important so I get the correct RPM.

tktsales

Well I need all the throttle linkage parts 39 thru 45, These are the same for all models except the build 102 but the speeder spring which is #1, There are 8 different springs available from Lister. I am sure I can just buy this from Onan and be good but those throttle parts have to come from the UK so I prefer to get all parts from Lister. Also the Fuel injector pumps appear to be different as well and I need one of those. I can pull the PN off one of the others in this engine to confirm that PN but since the spring is missing I have no way to know what it is. I thought someone might have run across ordering parts from Lister in the past and knew the correct build number to reference this specific engine..

uniquify

Some of the reset 803's have engines with Lister Petter plates on them. Can someone post a picture of an engine's data plate? Maybe that will have the build number on it somewhere.

tktsales

Yes Daybreak, I have all the military TMs the issue is they show only Onan Part numbers so my local Lister dealer cant cross those over.. I don't know how much of this stuff Onan stocks here in the US and I don't have any local Onan dealers, It quite possible that Onan just buys their parts from LP in the US when needed and add another 50% to the pricing. I will spend some more time researching this more and hopefully figure it out.. If someone does have a set with a Lister tag as Uniquify suggests the "build number" will be the last 2 or 3 digits of the engine SN as shown below.

Lister SN Breakdown.jpg

tktsales

Ok Guys I think I have this narrowed down to Build 72. This is how I came to that conclusion.. Of all the builds I narrowed it to 4 possibilities based on the Fixed RPM of 1800 that are used in the 4 cylinder non turbo engine. Of those 4 builds the Build 71 and 72 are the only ones that use a unique Valve cover. The Onan valve covers are marked with the ONAN name and also my fuel injector pumps have PN 751-41174 marked on the body and this pump is also only used in build 71 and 72.. Build 71 is actually a 2000 RPM engine. It must also have the ONAN valve covers.. Not sure where this is used, maybe the 400 hz version runs at 2000 RPM? Does anyone know what the 400HZ sets run? I know a 60hz 4 pole generator runs 1800 so that leaves only build 72 for the MEP803A 60 Hz Gensets..

Lister Build 72.jpgLister Build 72_2.jpg

tktsales

Hmm. Then I have no idea what the build 71 is for BUT if I am correct it must have the Onan valve covers and uses the same fuel pumps so maybe Onan makes some other odd ball genset. Anyone know how to do the math on what RPM vs number of poles equates to what HZ? I think the 400 hz are 24 pole generators. I was thinking about this last night and could not wrap my head around it.

tktsales

Hey Light in the dark, I did a bit more digging on this equation to figure the RPM vs number of poles and I think the 400hz set must run at 2000 RPM.. I Have never owned or operated a 400hz set and have no need or desire to. The equation I found is RPM x number of poles divided by 120 So in the case of 60 hz 1800 * 4 /120 is 60.. I seem to remember the 400hz sets are 24 pole but I could not find where I ready that. 2000 RPM * 24 / 120 is 400. At 1800 RPM it would only be 380 HZ, There is no possible equal number of poles that would get 400 HZ from a 24 pole generator so assuming the 400 HZ are 24 pole then I believe this Lister Build number 71 is going to be for the 400 HZ sets and the Build 72 is going to be for the 60 HZ sets and everything would make sense, at least to me ( which is not always proven to be correct). If anyone can confirm any of this I think it may be valuable for other members needing parts in the future to have these Lister Build numbers and they can order parts directly from Lister USA.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
You missed my point. It will not cross over to Onan or Lister-Petter. It a dept of defense item.

You want the NSN number, part#

The engine is the engine. exhaust muffler type and style and mounting directions can be different. Say, the throttle cable, it is specific to the MEP generator. Alternator of course military 24volts. etc...

You have not posted great pictures of the areas of concern. It looks like you are missing the shutdown solenoid. and connection parts to the governor. Woodward part number SA-3865 NSN 5945-01-378-7172

View attachment Engine Stop Screw Adjustment.pdf

Also look over in the parts for sale section here. Someone might a parts unit to gather your pieces from.

Last edited:

tktsales

No I understood you but maybe I was not clear in my response.. The "ENGINE ASSY" is built by Lister Petter (Fan to Flywheel), Any parts of the engine will be available from LP and yes some of them are unique parts for Onan but they are still provided by LP, The enclosure, such things as throttle cables, wiring, gauges, radiator ect are not LP parts and the TM is certainly the best approach for those items. I was merely trying to determine the correct build number of the engine assy as it was built by LP and I am confident I have done that based on the research I have done.. I have looked in a number of places for these missing items. I did find a new fault indicator panel on Fleebay for $150 as for the actual engine parts I can find piece here and a piece there but rather than taking a chance I just decided to buy all new. I have no problem spending the money, after all it will be an emergency power source. The Shut down solenoid I have. Some of the parts were laying in the base of the unit but apparently they stole the fuel pump or it was just bad. Not sure why they removed the start/stop lever assy. I am hoping there is not a larger underlying issue I did not see but I guess time will tell. Once I get it together, if it does not run I will start from scratch.. This will be my third unit. I bought this simply as a part machine knowing it was missing some parts but I cant leave well enough alone sometimes.. With the little that was missing I decided to go ahead and fix her up. Maybe keep it as a backup unit or maybe just sell it once completed.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Mike understands what you are saying, but what he is saying is that many items on these machines show DoD as the manufacturer, which is a deadender. Whether on purpose, or simply how the directive of supply and design worked for the particular machine, many parts stall out at the DoD listing. I know what you are trying to do, but what has Onan quoted you for all the parts?

tktsales

I don't think its DOD, They do their job with the TM. Everything for the most part has a source. I am sure Onan deliberately makes it difficult to find the correct parts and bypass them going directly to LP.. I do not have a local Onan dealer that I know of.. The correct Fuel pump was $300 from LP, I found some old stock Govt surplus for $225 but was not the same PN that is installed in my other 3 cylinders.. It may have worked just fine but I again I dont want to take a chance on having a smoke issue or one cylinder with a different fuel supply than the other 3. If you look at this NSN in procurement there are a bunch of different PNs for the same pump. In my experience the NSN info is not always accurate so I ordered what is installed in my engine AND based on the build number of the engine in the LP master parts catalog this is the correct pump.. The Start/stop lever kit was $125 for all the little items and the spring was like $5. All coming from the UK 3-4 weeks no shipping charges. Very possible that DLA has all this stuff in supply but doubtful to me that Onan would stock obscure linkage items.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Start with this thread.

MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts It's a sticky :naner:

Read through each of the quick links.

The exact MEP-802/803 fuel pump is available. Go to this quick link thread MEP-802/803 fuel pump The fuel pump is DOD specific and does not have a ONAN or Lister-Petter cross.

It's $45

There are vendors which have the NSN parts in stock and sell them. Steel Soldiers is a valuable source. Others here might have parts and pieces you might need too.

Note: I don't think anyone has a ONAN dealer near them.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Note: I don't think anyone has a ONAN dealer near them.
FYI: Onan is now owned by Cummins: https://www.cummins.com/news/releas...announces-official-rebranding-onan-generators

I was able to buy some Onan parts (glow plug washers & GP terminals) through my local Cummins dealer. So they do stock "some" Onan parts or can order them from their stocking warehouse. Trying to use their website parts search was futile. I had to call and talk to a human and he had to cross index the parts from his internal database and then order them. The pricing and shipping was rather high though, as I recall.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks