• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New (to me) MEP-802A

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think AGM are wrong for these machines
I think Light's earlier comment about it being tied to geography is probably fair - were I somewhere much colder, I'd probably give the nod to AGMs more readily. As it is, we might see below freezing weather here in Virginia for 3-5 weeks per year. So, like you, I will be sticking with the lead acid batteries for now. If I have to, in an emergency, I can find larger/AGM ones in a pinch.

I have recently purchased a no.co gen2 mini charger (4 amps per channel max) to hook to the batteries. Regardless of which ones I wind up with, that charger will do the job.

SJ

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanted to circle back on the thread with good news- with new batteries, filters, fluids and quad fuse&MOV updates, she’s running like a charm. Not yet load tested- something to look forward to on the weekend!

Thanks again to all for the input, pointers and help. This is my first MEP unit and I’m Very pleased.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Glad you got it running.

Some experience from my re-build with batteries... get good ones even if you're not in the cold. I had some cheap lawn mower batteries that worked for about a year. Then, when I needed my generator, it wouldn't start. The diesel engine on this unit may not look big, but like all diesels, it is under a much higher compression. This is where it draws a LOT of power from the battery. I got my 2 Optima batteries for less than $200 all said & done using thrifty methods online. Didn't want to ever have to worry about it again.

Give it a good load test with non-critical items. A few hours of running will really clean it out & bring any problems to surface if there are any. Watch the fuel return lines.

Upgrade the tank well nuts with the brass ones! That way you'll never need to worry about it again.

I used Rotella 15W40 & Motorcraft diesel coolant because I use both in all my diesel equipment. Makes it easy.

For under $2,000 you got a GREAT deal!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks