• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bmp fuel leak

Coltman15

So I walked into my barn and behold a new diesel fuel leak on my bmp. The leak is coming directly out of the pre-heater exhaust port on the bottom of the vehicle. The preheater is off and the valve handle has never been opened to release fuel into it.

I checked every where and I can’t pinpoint a leak from a fuel line. It’s a fairly regular drip, maybe 1.5 to 2 gal in a weeks time.

HELP!

Coltman15

Hmmmm.

Sounds suspicious.

Some photos might help with any analysis and mentorship from those who might have experiences similar to yours.

nopics
Literally not much to take pics of. No actual leak in the interior of the vehicle. Fuel is dripping right out of the exhaust of the preheater, located on the bottom right of the chassis.

I dont know if i bumped the pre-heater switch or smoke generator system and it released fuel. I started it up the vehicle and it seems to have stopped...? Do BMPs have a pressurized fuel system that leaks as the air pressure slowly dissipates when the vehicle sits, then leaks?

Attachments

Coltman15

So it turns out, the way to stop the leak is to start the vehicle right after you fuel it. No idea why this works...... if you just fill the tank without starting the machine, it will leak.

Coltman15

Well that would explain it... we only fueled it while it was running anytime we put fuel in it... WEIRD! Glad you got it figured out!
Y’all it’s back. The leak is back. Same spot. Do these machines use air to pull it out of the tank? If I shut her down without bleeding of the pressure, does it siphon fuel to the preheater or exhaust smoke generator?

Still coming out the pre heater exhaust hole

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a diagram of the complete fuel system ,my problem is how to upload it to here ?
UPLOAD INSTRUCTIONS:
In the top bar of the REPLY Box you'll see a "framed picture" Button near the right side. Hover your cursor over it and it will highlight with "Insert Image".

Clicking on that Button will allow you to upload various formats of pics, and PDF files too.

Looking forward to your uploads [thumbzup]

Augdog1964

I'm guessing that a solenoid may be used to draw fuel to the preheater, and despite the preheater switch not being on, the solenoid is stuck in the "open" position.
We never had ANY leaks from her at all and perhaps the switch was moved and returned to off afterward, but the solenoid stayed open?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks