• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 ran fine for last years parades, this year, not so much

slaughterfp

I bought a 1954 M37 in great mechanical condition a year ago and used it for parades and antique car shows. It ran fine all summer. Stored in my barn for the winter (7 months), fuel tank full. Took it for a test drive to make sure all was well before participating in the Cherry Festival parades and the 4th. Let it idle and warm up then took off down the road. Ran fine for about 6 miles then missed a few times and started to bog down. Pushed in the clutch and it revved up ok but same thing when I let it out. Limped along, stalled, restarted, finally would not restart. Towed home and replaced the fuel filter. Started up and drove down the road fine but started doing the same thing after 2 miles. This time was able to drive home in 3rd gear. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm not a mechanic but pretty handy with a wrench and retired so have plenty of time to noodle around. thanks in advance!
Frank, in TC

Attachments

BEASTMASTER

it's probably that crap ethanol gas ?? did you put stabil in the tank and run it for 15 min. before putting it away?? the best bet is to use high test gas with no ethanol in it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gas with ethanol is only good for 60 days vice 2 years for non-ethanol gas.

slaughterfp

Thanks Beastmaster. I'm kind of a newbie but I did know about the ethanol thing. My mistake was thinking that the state (Michigan) required gas stations to label the pumps ethanol or not. So, there was ethanol in the tank and I did use Stabil when I put it away. What should I do now?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember right, mine has a drain in the tank. Drain it out and change the fuel. Hopefully it didn't gum up the carb. I'd change the filter again.

CMPPhil

Hi Frank

Besure to let us know if fresh gas solves the problem. I never do a tune up or try to solve rough running on any of my trucks until I've put fresh gas in and if possible driven the truck for an hour. Amazing how often this fixes the problem with no other work, other than normal oil change and grease job.

If I have to I'll drain the fuel tank of last falls gasoline, if it clear and clean, I dump in one of the new cars. Last time my wife thanked me for taking her car out to fill the tank. Her new Jeep never even burped.

If new gas doesn't doesn’t fix the problem my next thing would be to clean the points and rotor contacts lightly, even a little corrosion will cause the symptoms you mentioned, my first level of cleaning is to just rub the contracts with clean cardboard.

Hope you get it running smooth and reliably, embarrassing to get towed through a parade, but that's always a good reason to do parades with friends.

Cheers Phil

cucvmule

collector of stuff
My experience with diesel fuel and gasoline is a love and now hate relationship. New fuels for on roadway use are refined with government regulations in place. Winter fuel, summer fuel, north, south, east, west fuel, all do and have a purpose. Fuels today are formulated for new vehicles and equipment. Unfortunately older engines do not get to operate as much and tend to sit for longer periods of time.

Additives do help to stabilize fuel longer. Gasoline engines hate water, and ethanol is a magnet for moisture that creates rust. Fuel that has no ethanol is available, at least in my area, 93 octane that is under 2.75 a gallon, at least yesterday. I use no ethanol fuel in any vehicle or equipment that will not burn the tank in 4 weeks.

I would like to here that you use your truck more frequently, to the store, Barbershop, fuel station. Get out and exercise those seals and gaskets more. And as some of the Troops know the more Green or Tan Vehicles you own the more exercising that needs to be done.

I also hope that just a fuel change helps, cures, and the carburetor is not contaminated. If that does not fix, it will help, that removing the filter and do an inspection by dumping the fuel in filter in an OPEN, clean, clear jar to check for the health of the fuel line and fuel tank.

slaughterfp

Thanks Phil! Just came in from the barn after draining 20 gal of gas out of the tank. I then started it up and let it run until it died from fuel starvation. Put 3 gal of E0 in and pumped the crap out of the primer lever on the fuel pump. Cranked for a little bit and then fired right up. Hopefully that's enough gas to get me up to one of the few stations around here that sell pure gas. LOL about the parade! I'm behind an M3 halftrack this year so I'll take an inconspicuous tow rope. I'll post back on how all goes.
Frank

slaughterfp

Thanks for the tips cucvmule! I'm definitely going to drive it more this year. Taking wife to the Dairy Queen a few times a week should help (kill 2 birds with 1 stone).
Frank

BEASTMASTER

hope all goes well for you. my 5 ton once wouldn't go over 25 mph. I made it to a gas station and put in $30.00 of high test and drove the heck out of it,and then it fixed itself. you might want to check you're fuel lines. see if they are squishy. if they are old ,the ethanol will eat them up to.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other option which may need looking at. When you burn nasty gas it’ll gum up your spark plugs. If they’re stock, might be able to clean them up. If aftermarket, best bet may be replacing them. My lawnmower gets pissy about sour gas. Fresh gas and a new spark plug works every time.

slaughterfp

Replaced the gas with E0 90. It idles smooth and is fine in 1st,2nd and 3rd but when I get up to 40-45 it will start missing and lose power. Can only get about a mile down the road before it happens. Should have mentioned this before but the guy I bought it from had converted it to electronic ignition so points shouldn't be a problem.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm behind an M3 halftrack this year so I'll take an inconspicuous tow rope.
You wouldn't be the first to get towed through a parade! (Nor the last)

In the last 15 years, it has happened pretty regularly to folks in our club, usually one of the WWII jeep guys. And its usually because their vehicles just plain don't get driven enough.
I always have a military tow strap with me (so do some of the other guys) so we haul 'em when we need to.

But their picture is definitely going in the after action report to the club. One chap has been towed so many times, we have accused him of just not wanting to pay for fuel!
All done in good humour though.

Cheers

TGP (IL)

Sea foam is Good stuff.

Next time it acts up play with the choke out and in a little to see if makes any difference.
If it don't then it's probably not fuel related.

Tom

kdaniels

I'm having the same issue right now with one of my M37's. It hasn't been driven in almost two years..stored with non-eth. I'm having a fuel delivery issue. Primer on stock fuel pump primes filter and carb..but will not deliver enough fuel for higher speeds very long. I cleaned the in- tank filter, new ignition parts, new carb and still have the same problem you do. I'm banking on the fuel pump and as soon as I can this weekend I will replace that part too. The internals on my old pump , which I put on new (rebuilt by John @ MWM) 12 yrs ago may be weak.

I'll follow up Monday...

SEMPER FI

keith

slaughterfp

Hi Keith,
Just got a new fuel pump installed a couple of days ago and finally was able to test drive today. Drove around a bit at 45mph and had no problem! I replaced the original fuel/vac pump with one of the fuel only pumps (glass sediment bowl). Took a while to get fuel from the tank to the pump but once it arrived, the engine fired right up. At first it ran rough at low rpm, then it occured to me to cap off the vacuum line from the manifold. Made a big difference. New fuel, Seafoam and fuel pump fixed the problem. Good luck, Keith! Let me know what you find out.
Frank

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got it figured out & running good again. This site has a ton of helpful people & info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks