• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump rebuild?

papakb

The power steering pumps are very low cost items and hardly worth rebuilding. Checking online or with places like Cardone you can get a direct match for your old pump.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eliminating issues and I think my power steering pump is on its way out. Are there any rebuild kits or a list of parts to rebuild this thing?

Thanks,
Mike
After reading and watching several YouTube videos about rebuilding, I have been left to believe there is an area that deforms in trucks that requires a reaming out and press fitting to tighten it up. That is not easy and without this repair the units can perform poorly and even leak.

I would just buy a new one and be done with it for the next 20 years or so.

MHO, YMMV

Best,

T

warcow105

Yeah, I figured as much. They are cheap enough, I just thought it might be a quick fix to swap out some bearings and whatever else.
So I noticed that there's a newer style pump that doesn't have the reservoir on it. Is there any reason to switch to that one?

Mike

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I figured as much. They are cheap enough, I just thought it might be a quick fix to swap out some bearings and whatever else.
So I noticed that there's a newer style pump that doesn't have the reservoir on it. Is there any reason to switch to that one?

Mike
New style pump is for serpentine belt setup only

the pump you need is an RCSK18330

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and per HPG’s website on PS pumps:

IMPORTANT NOTE: AFTERMARKET POWER STEERING PUMPS WILL NOT APPLY ENOUGH PRESSURE FOR THE HUMMER DUE TO THE COMBINATION OF THE HYDROBOOST SETUP AND THE STEERING/BRAKING WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. AM GENERAL USED A SPECIAL POWER STEERING PUMP NOT FOUND IN AFTERMARKET PUMPS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks