• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to determine year of M38A1

BPinFL

Greetings from Florida!
I recently found this site an have already learned quite a bit from it. Thanks.
Bought this Jeep in the mid 1980's, used it for hunting and woods riding for years, then put it in the barn.
Over the last few years have painted and restored it as best I could, now want to put hood and bumper markings on it that are somewhat correct.
It has one original data plate that reads as follows: AN/MRC - 83
CENTRAL RADIO SET
27.5 VOLTS DC
EQUIPMENT SERIAL A2267
US GOVERNMENT
FABRICATED BY
MARINE CORPS SUPPLY CENTER
ALBANY GEORGIA
Only other numbers I can find are casting of right side of engine block : 8D 807895

Is there any way to determine year of manufacture? would like to have that in the hood #'s
Its painted Marine Corps forest green. would it have had white or yellow numbers?
I appreciate any help with this. BPinFL

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a very special M38A1. As you have surmised, it is a USMC Jeep with the high frequency long range radio set. It would have had the 100 amp generator (4 groove pulley) system as well. It could very well be one of the late production (1964) with positrack front axle. To determine the year of manufacture, you will need to determine the serial number. It may be on your title, on a builder’s plate on the left sponson behind the drivers seat, or on the dash data plate cluster. The yellow painted hood number can only be determined by careful sanding with a DA sander. Same with bumper or cowl painted unit markings, which could be many different colors. If you can find the serial number, post it here, and the year can be deduced by finding similar serial numbers in the MVPA directory.

BPinFL

Hi NDT:
Thanks for the encouraging words! No luck on any numbers . Yes it has a large bracket under the hood for the generator, but was converted to 12V before I got it.
Would there be any serial numbers on the engine block or frame? How can I tell if it has posi track front end?
BP

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No frame numbers. The engine serial number (located on boss near water pump, starting with MD) is unrelated to the vehicle serial number. Not entirely sure how to verify what lockers you have other than opening the cover and looking.

post 5466

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings from Florida!
I recently found this site an have already learned quite a bit from it. Thanks.
Bought this Jeep in the mid 1980's, used it for hunting and woods riding for years, then put it in the barn.
Over the last few years have painted and restored it as best I could, now want to put hood and bumper markings on it that are somewhat correct.
It has one original data plate that reads as follows: AN/MRC - 83
CENTRAL RADIO SET
27.5 VOLTS DC
EQUIPMENT SERIAL A2267
US GOVERNMENT
FABRICATED BY
MARINE CORPS SUPPLY CENTER
ALBANY GEORGIA
Only other numbers I can find are casting of right side of engine block : 8D 807895

Is there any way to determine year of manufacture? would like to have that in the hood #'s
Its painted Marine Corps forest green. would it have had white or yellow numbers?
I appreciate any help with this. BPinFL
Did you find out any more information on your Marine G I think I have one also

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks