• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer lighting and lamps help please

mcii

I have several trailers, all late model and used to carry differing generator sets. Before I just cut off the large bulky multi pin original as supplied connector body and go for the typical 4 pin flat plug. What is the most common way we transfer power for the lighting system, is or does someone offer a converter receptacle for this plug or what is the most viable solution, while I am at it, what about the now supplied 24 v lamps, I don't see it worth the effort to buy or build up some 12-24 supply, with the advancements in LED lamps has this been addressed or solved to make it a simple effort to use on these type applications.
All help and answers welcomed. thank you: mac/mc

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just stick magnetic 12v lights on for towing with a civvy vehicle.

I leave the 24v alone and use it when towing with a military vehicle. I hate the thought of hacking up the 12pin connector.

Zed254

Sorta depends on your situation. I've got several generator trailers and an M1101 that I ONLY pull with an F250: I, sadly, do not own any big green trucks. I pull the military cords off and install a civilian RV 7 blade connector using the military Terminal-Type Cable Connectors. You can cut the Mil cord if in good condition and just put the Civ connector onto it. Search the SS site and find out what numbered wire - and color - goes to what pole in the connector. As 98G points out, if you EVER plan on buying a 24 volt military truck you want to leave that Mil connector alone or at least save it for future use.
You mention a 4 flat connector. That will work, too: I'm set up for the RV connectors.

Lamps: My M1101 is a 2006 and I had to change all the bulbs to 12 volt. My 2011 LTT generator trailers had LED running lights (work well with 12 volts) but the brake lights needed to be changed to 12 volt. I had to change out all the bulbs on a 2012 M116A3. So it depends on what you have and what you are pulling it with. You are going from the 24 volt Military world to the 12 volt Civilian world. And then there are those LED bulbs you can buy that work in both worlds.......

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not clear from post - are you just prepping these trailers for use behind civi (12v) vehicles? If so - just get a cheap trailer lighting kit and replace the whole lot in one - hitch to rear x-mbr. Small trailers only need tail, stop/turn lamps. No need for triple markers etc. Then sell the whole lot to mv users.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that is for the trailer, but it provides most info I need . I'm working to re-wire my 4x4 with some new options. I have not been into the TM wiring diagrams yet but notice I may not have a reverse light circuit (by your list).

I want to keep the mil connection but have the 7 pin too and since I stripped all the wires up to the cab, now is the time for me to work logistics out and get the wires in place. I'll probably use machine tool wire and solder most joints.

I'll go take a picture of the new light layout coming together.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the new light location on the back of the 4x4. I'm trying to make it compatible with most mil trailers, including air brakes.

There are 1057 dual circuit LED's in the red and yellow and I had planned a single circuit 1056 but it came with the dual circuit bulb 1057. I may change the amber to red.

I'm wondering about adding a rear flasher/strobe in the white (low) for highway and fog visibility.

I was thinking red high and amber low for braking and turn and maybe put the flasher on the amber high.

It's kinda cool to have a high and low that can have a strobe too to work in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zed254

WOW!!! They look like traffic lights!!! Will be NO excuse for rear ending your rig!!! I like 'em!!

Here's the M1101 Wiring Diagram. With all the low illumination blackout lights on those trailers there are plenty of wires to make into a Backup Light circuit unless you are going to be using the blackout lights.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the diagram, that helps.

Being one of the slowest vehicles on the highway has resulted in deadly wrecks with both trucks and trailers getting hit from behind, so yea, visibility is intended. I've been putting a duck bill over rear lights for a long time and never regretted it but 3 was pushing extreme.

The LED and especially the 2 circuit high-low, which can have a strobe blinker, makes lots of combinations possible. I have to have clearance lights and the three for over 80" and licence plate lights too....just like a trailer.

I didn't have the $$$ to do military LED and these have about $14 each invested with the LED bulb.

Last edited:

DeadParrot

Both my M1101 and M101A1 have a junction box where the military cable interfaces with the trailer wiring. Instead of hacking up a good military cable, access the junction box and wire your civilian cable in there. If you buy the proper wire ends, you can make up a civilian cable set the just plugs into the trailer wiring harness.

If you are certain you have no use for the military cables, you can probably find a home for them with one of the forum members.

2nd on Superbright LEDs. All the bulbs I have bought from them haven't cared about polarity. Recently bought some PAR36 bulbs for an 60's era IH 424 tractor. Changed the headlight output from a dim glow that sort of lit up the ground 20 feet out to something that lights up things 50 yards out.

MarcusOReallyus

Not clear from post - are you just prepping these trailers for use behind civi (12v) vehicles? If so - just get a cheap trailer lighting kit and replace the whole lot in one - hitch to rear x-mbr. Small trailers only need tail, stop/turn lamps. No need for triple markers etc. Then sell the whole lot to mv users.
There's no reason to replace anything but the connector and light bulbs, IF they are 24v bulbs. Many are not.

mcii

the mag lites is pretty much how I got it home, but the one trailer is pretty much all aluminum and that proved tuffer ..thanx much ....mac/mc

mcii

I'm LMAO and a big grin, I ever show up with a BGT [BIG GREEN TRUCK] that mite be the final straw for my neighbors.. Who is it on here with the tag, he does not have too many gen sets, just not enuff land..

I was Mayor here for a time, several of my council members wanted to create a new zoning classification and went so far as to put it on a regular agenda item for public discusion, ITAS.. ? I fell for it .. In Town Army Surplus .. between the gen sets parked around and ham radio towers, I'v about maxd out my 10 acres but a BGT would be the ultimate test.. No I don't see a BGT in my future thanx anyhow.. mac/mc

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I like the red-red-white which with high and low and strobe has a lot of options.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks