• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with a slant back question

DSorn

Hey everyone, I recently signed up for the forums and I've been reading through them, but this is my first post. I'm looking at picking up my first HMMWV in the next few weeks and I've got a question before I buy. I've decided I definitely want a slant back, but I'm not sure on the route I should take to get it. I love the look and functionality of the OEM steel top and back, but I've seen everyone talking about how badly they leak. Even in pictures you can usually see daylight around the edges of the slant back when looking from inside. The one thing I can't figure out is the cause though. Can the leaks be fixed? Is it just a matter of swapping in new seals, realigning things etc. Or is it just an inherent problem that you'll likely never be able to fix?

My other option is to go with something like the Plan B Supply top and slant back kit, which I'm under the impression won't leak, but it just doesn't look as good to me as the original. Plus, I would like to put a roof rack on top and I'm not sure how an aluminum top will hold up with that.

I'm curious as to what you guys think. If you wanted a slant back, would you dish out the extra cash up front for something like a M1045A2 that has the milspec top and hatch or spend less and get something like a M998 (I know it's got less payload etc) with a soft top and go with an aftermarket setup like Plan B or something?

I appreciate the feedback!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These things all leak to a greater or lesser extent. The slantbacks more than the rest of them just due to the design.

As for me, if I wanted a slantback, it'd have to be a real milspec slant back. I'd get it that way up front. I'd pay the extra for the 4speed transmission and seriously consider some way to get more power out of the engine too...

Mine is a lowly 2man soft top, 3speed transmission, NA 6.2 and I'm completely happy with that.

20190519_204108.jpg

papakb

The slantbacks definitely have a cool look factor to them but you might want to consider the usefulness of the vehicle. The slantbacks have less usable space in the back area than other variants. It all depends on what you want it for I guess. If you have a chance to ride in one do it before you buy one. Just my opinion.

DSorn

The slantbacks definitely have a cool look factor to them but you might want to consider the usefulness of the vehicle. The slantbacks have less usable space in the back area than other variants. It all depends on what you want it for I guess. If you have a chance to ride in one do it before you buy one. Just my opinion.
There's a guy local to me that has a 4 door soft top that was nice enough to let me take it for a spin. I told him I was thinking about buying one and he gave me his keys and told me to take a ride with him. That said, my plan is to take some long adventure trips with my wife, so space was one of my first concerns. I figured with the two of us, any gear I need to keep dry should be easy enough to fit in a slant back, anything else could go on a roof rack. Ideally, I like the idea of a wagon, so I was looking at one of the turtle shells, but:

1) They don't look as cool
2) I feel like they make the vehicle too big if that makes sense.

So, I figured the slant back would be a good fit between a turtle shell and a pick-up. Right now, I've got a 2015 Wrangler soft top that we take for trips, so we're used to a little leaking, but the stuff I've heard makes it seem like I may need to wear a bathing suit and goggles when it rains out. :mrgreen:

AAVP7

Most slantbacks coming from Govplanet today have a sheet metal cover instead of the turret. Mine was siliconed in, so that was waterproof. Still some leaks at the doors.

If you don´t need that 100 % original turret, maybe such a fixed cover would be a solution for you.

For me, I wanted that authentic look, so I removed that waterproof cover and refitted the turret. Also, since most of my Humvee trips happen in summer, it´s nice to be able to open that top hatch. Otherwise, a slantback easily becomes a heat trap in summer. If I should get into a summer thunderstorm, so be it. Thanks to the Humvee design, water coming in at the top runs out at the bottom.....:mrgreen:

Reactions: 98G

BLK HMMWV

You need to be one of two types of people in order to buy and keep a HMMWV.
#1 you like working on your own vehicles and doing your own maintenance.
#2 you have a big bank account and spending money on your toys isn't a problem for you or your wife.

You mentioned long adventure trips .
Not sure if they will be on road or off but understand that there are very few places that you will find along the way to find some parts for them immediately .
In a wrangler you can get most parts at any auto parts store. Not so for most parts on the HMMWV.
Most any mechanic can work on a jeep not so with a HMMWV.
Most probably can work on a civilian H1 Hummer so keep that in mind.

The slant back does have a cool factor to it but once you remove the turret and hatch in the roof and put a storage rack on top to me it would makes it look like crap.
You guys use to talking to each other while driving , listening to music, air conditioning , adjustable windows, seeing what's behind you , parking along a street or parking in a parking lot made for normal size cars you might want to rethink owning a HMMWV.

Slant backs cost more . If you really want one buy one already in that configuration. The parts required to turn a soft top into a slant back are getting harder to find.
Take the guy up on his offer. Make sure you bring the wife along.

DSorn

Some good points here

Luckily I enjoy working on my own cars, I can't bring myself to trust anyone else with doing anything unless it's something really intricate, then I find someone who specializes, like finding a well known Jeep shop to regear my differential and put in lockers. As for noise, at highway speeds in the Jeep, even with the top up, we have to raise our voices to talk so I'm not really worried about that. The m998 that I got to drive was a stripped down, totally genuine milspec - bare floors, painted inside, no insulation etc and it was noisy, but within our tolerance level.

I have to admit though, now I'm questioning if I should just go with a 4 door hard top and scrap the slant back purely for practical reasons. So many choices!

I appreciate everyone's input so far!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where there's a will there's a way. If you happen to end up with a 4 man canvas soft top rig, I make and sell soft slant backs of my own design. So, if opportunity gives you a gen-1 soft top, you can still have a slant back.
Bulldogger
IMG_0597.jpgIMG_0825.jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a real slantback. Mine has the turret on top. It leaks but really not all that bad.
Pete
I also have a "real" slantback with a turret. It leaks like a b!tc#.

So what?!?! I love it!

Just enjoy the freakin' ride.

Best and Welcome to the fun.

T

kzeyus

The item that sticks out in your statement for me is "my plan is to take some long adventure trips with my wife" to me that says most important thing to consider is a 4 speed instead of a 3 speed truck!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The item that sticks out in your statement for me is "my plan is to take some long adventure trips with my wife" to me that says most important thing to consider is a 4 speed instead of a 3 speed truck!
This opens up a whole other wasps nest... People complain about loud driving noise in HMMWV's, but I have noticed that the only time it gets too loud in my rig is when my wife is in the passengers seat... The problem has nothing to do with the Diesel engine. ;-)

Drive that HMMWV till the wheels fall off.

Best,

T

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We fixed the noise problem in my ride by getting a used aviation intercom system. Headsets and mikes and we're good to go.
Bulldogger

nattieleather

Take it from someone who's been in the hobby for over 30 years....ALL Military Vehicles are Loud, Noisy, and they Leak! And Murphy's rules about MVs says that rain will find the drivers right foot too. So it doesn't matter if you get a 1/4 ton, 3/4 ton, 5/4 ton, 2.5 ton, 5 ton or 10 ton MV to drive and take adventures with you will have to deal with loud, noisy, smelly, leaky, rattly conditions. The only MV I can think of that doesn't have a leaking problem is the CUCVs. But they are loud, noisy etc. A M1009 might be good for what you want to do if rain drops are a big hard limit for you, but if you want a slant back HMMWV and have the money to get it then do so. Enjoy the ride and welcome to the madness that is OD.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks