• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

now you see it, now you don't

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Photo- Shopped. With today's digital technology, anything can be enhanced, manipulated, created, or altered. If I don't see it w/ my own eyes, I am very Leary of the origin.

Another Ahab

Photo- Shopped. With today's digital technology, anything can be enhanced, manipulated, created, or altered. If I don't see it w/ my own eyes, I am very Leary of the origin.
You'd think, and you might be right.

But that was this guy's thing, and he did most of this years back before what you say became commonplace.

Anyway, thanks "Bill in pa" you started some fun craziness here!

Sure hope you are ok with it. We'll ground it to a halt, you just say the word.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Photoshop doesn't work IRL, this guy's work does. You see it because you're looking for it, but if you were shopping and an arm suddenly appeared out of the vegetable rack you'd (or some) would probably freak out.

I have my own camo story...I was playing paintball in my 20's and dressed in camo gear lying in a shallow ditch and an opposing player walked within 10 feet of and right by me (I was exposed enough that had he looked at me he couldn't miss seeing me) but he just kept going because I faded into the background of what he wasn't looking at.

Another Ahab

had he looked at me he couldn't miss seeing me
You got something there, montaillou, "looking" and "seeing" are two different things:

- There's an insect called the Walking Stick, and I haven't seen one in probably 20 years, but chances are good that I have looked at more than a dozen since then, but just didn't SEE them (the Walking Stick is a camouflage Master!)

My schooling in camouflage came from catching snakes as a kid. We got a park here in the D.C. area called the C&O Canal, and as kids me and the snake-catching part of the gang (just three of us: my brother, my Arizona hockey bud, and me) would go out there on weekends and look for snakes (and anything else cool).

There's a snake called the Queen Snake, nothing real special but it's common to the canal, and specifically to the bushes ALONG the canal. We'd catch them one weekend, keep them at home for a week and then return them the next weekend to the same bush. That was the snake M.O. (modus operandi).

Well, nothing real special about them except that wrapped within the branches of those bushes on the bank, they were REAL hard to see. If they didn't move you just weren't going to see them.

But we all got an eye for them over time, and we'd stop at any good bush prospect, and then we'd stop and LOOK.

What typically happened was one of us would SEE one, but it would be in front of the other guy, instead of you. So, you'd have to describe it to the other guy ("her head is such-and-such a place", or "her tail is such-and-such a place"), until the other guy SAW it (even though he was LOOKING straight at it), and then made the lunge to catch it. THEY were fast, so YOU had to be fast too to catch them.

It would amaze you how they would be there RIGHT in front of you, but until your bud described it to you, you did not SEE it. Then -BANG- there she is!

Grab her QUICK, right behind the head (quick but gentle), and she's yours!

You want camouflage?! Out there on the Old C&O we saw some of the best!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks