• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter runon...sorta.

jholler

Starter was going out, classic "smack it with a hammer and it'll crank" GM starter issue. I DO have the Doghead relay mod done. No other issues. I went to the local starter/alternator shop and bought a Model 6598R 24v starter (Brown box, don't know manufacturer). Hook big wire up, hook little wire up. Find mounting bolt holes without dropping starter on my head. Connect battery, and the starter engages. Just spinning, doesn't kick the teeth out. WTH? Did my relay somehow go bad while sitting there waiting for me to buy a starter?

Oh yeah, '86 M1009, still all 24v.

richingalveston

sounds like a bad starter. can you pull the gear out by hand? maybe just stuck. IF it is spinning then sounds like the electrical is working. problem is with starter.

jholler

sounds like a bad starter. can you pull the gear out by hand? maybe just stuck. IF it is spinning then sounds like the electrical is working. problem is with starter.
But it's spinning as soon as I make the battery connection...no key in the ignition. isn't that wire to the solenoid supposed to be de-energized until the key is turn d?

dependable

I'd guess the solenoid is stuck on because defective or 12V. Another possibility is the teeth may be engaging too tight, due to wrong or defective gear or starter misalignment.

richingalveston

check the wire going to the starter solenoid with a meter. Is it getting power all the time or just when you turn the key. If it is energized all the time then you have a problem with the relays under the dash. If it is energized only when you turn the key then there is a problem in the starter.

If the starter runs when you hook up the big wire (and the little wire is disconnected) then there is definitely a problem with the starter, the solenoid is stuck shut. The engine block is the ground for the starter so if the solenoid is stuck shut it will spin as soon as the starter is connected.
If the Bendix (gear) is not throwing then it is stuck also, some times you can pry it out Bendix and it will start working if it is shut, however if it is happening with a brand new starter, I would return it.

My recommendation is to always have the stock starter rebuilt. The old units are much better than what you get off the shelf these days. A rebuild can cost more than one off the shelf but you will have a better, longer lasting starter.

sorry if I misread the original post

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks