• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling Military Shelter Dollies in PA

Reborn756

Howdy folks! Didn't see another post on this, so I figured I'd write up my own! If you guys know of another, please link it and I'll delete this one!

So I found an S-280 Shelter with the dollies for $500. My question is regarding the dollies: Does anyone know if they need to be titled in PA? A "Tow Dolly" does not need to be here, but these are not regular tow dollies! If they do need titled, can anyone walk me through the process? Current owner does not have a title or anything and it doesn't look like they've ever been!

I plan on starting my own ammo loading company, and I want to set up the shop in the shelter, pull it to gun shows with my CUCV, and make and sell right on site!

Thanks in advance for the info folks!

-Darryl

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on starting my own ammo loading company, and I want to set up the shop in the shelter, pull it to gun shows with my CUCV, and make and sell right on site!

-Darryl
Better check with BATFE first to see if they will allow a mobile ammunition manufacturing facility as the first step, and get it writing! Then talk to your insurance agent once you have approval from BATFE in writing. Don't know how it is in the northeast, but here in SC the ammo dealers at gun shows carry upwards of 40 different calibers/bullet weights and don't have time to reload while the show is going on. Oh, and the S-280 on that dolly is he-double-cadlesticks to back up, plus the contents are liable to be all over the place unless secured down for the trip. Nice idea for utilizing military surplus, but I'm not sure it will be practical, safe or economical.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
another thing to consider, you mentioned pulling it with a CUCV.
If it's the M720 dolly I'm pretty sure towing it with the CUCV will be more than the CUCV is rated to tow.
Add to that, the M720 dolly is air over hydraulic brakes, which require a tow vehicle with an air brake system.

Might want to rethink either the tow vehicle or the trailer to use as your reloading center.

Reborn756

Howdy guys! Sorry for the VERY late response, I haven't been getting any sort of notifications for Steel Soldiers, just saw these when I came to post a question about my CUCV!

SCSG-G4: I have it cleared with my PA ATF agents, they actually thought the idea was pretty darn cool. I have taken possession of the trailer and can confirm: definitely SUCKS trying to back it up. I'll just make sure I'm never in a position where I need to back the darn thing up!

Coug: I'm not sure which dolly unit is which by the designations. Mine is the smaller unit with basically jeep wheels on it. I have already hooked to it and pulled it (although an admittedly short distance) and the CUCV didn't so much as groan. Pulled it like it wasn't even there! Even had to pull it through my father-in-law's very rough (and at that time muddy) front yard, and had no problems at all. Was pleasantly surprised to be honest! I know of a guy that pulls the same setup behind an M1009 CUCV (he literally lives in it) and has no issues. I've got an M1028 non-dually myself.

78159571_1186376134894301_1367604478529765376_n.jpg76964428_1186376721560909_2465178436105142272_n.jpg69915719_1186376101560971_5087031158839967744_n.jpg
The unit, including the dollies, need work, but for $1,000 including the cost to have it hauled to me from Delaware (to PA) I am very pleased with it. I haven't started any kind of work on it yet, this is my summer project this year!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks