• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1084 crane hydraulic troubleshooting

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a lockout solenoid for each function. The crane movement like that controlled by the box on the side of the crane with the cable coming out of it going across the boom. Its called load moment.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok got it working my issues were both the boom up lock out and the boom down lock out solenoids plus the main two lockout solenoids are slowing down telescoping and hoist speed functions. With all the solenoids unplugged all functions are normal Hooray... now all I have to do is change out many leaking hoses. Thank you @Suprman for the help.

Last edited:

unix84535

Yea I tried different heights, even fully extended. I do know the main lockout works as far as I know cause without the outriggers down nothing works but as soon as there down with weight every thing unlocks but the main boom will not budge.......I unplugged the lockout solenoids and the cable hoist feed speed has increased and my telescoping in and out has increased but the boom still will not raise. Also before I unplugged the lockouts I did notice the boom spool had a bypassing sound unless I messed with the mast controls then the boom handle would bounce and stop bypassing, thinking that maybe my issue is the actual spool itself possibly. With the lockouts unplugged I never had the bypassing sound with the boom spool
Don't knowif this will help but here is a link to a site that has the parts and diagrams for the FMTV-C M1089 BOOM MID SECTION AND TELESCOPIC CYLINDER REPLACEMENT/ADJUSTMENT (CONT https://trucks5tonm1083.tpub.com/TM-9-2320-366-34-3/css/TM-9-2320-366-34-3_424.htm

dk8019

Bringing this one back up, mine is work across the board except for the retract function on the boom. With it in the retract position I think I can here a little bit of bypass, happening but it acts more like there's no pressure moving to the boom. I can retract it by reeling in the cable and pulling it back to the compressed position, but clearly not ideal. I do know the valve is doing something, as to get the cable to pull it in, I have to be in the retract position, otherwise it locks up good. The truck was outside for a bit, so I'll check the lockouts, maybe it's one of those, but any other ideas to explore?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bringing this one back up, mine is work across the board except for the retract function on the boom. With it in the retract position I think I can here a little bit of bypass, happening but it acts more like there's no pressure moving to the boom. I can retract it by reeling in the cable and pulling it back to the compressed position, but clearly not ideal. I do know the valve is doing something, as to get the cable to pull it in, I have to be in the retract position, otherwise it locks up good. The truck was outside for a bit, so I'll check the lockouts, maybe it's one of those, but any other ideas to explore?
My M1089 had a heck of a problem with "standing up" from the stowed position. Extending the boom, then rocking it back and forth made it work. Using LOTS of WD-40 on those two uprights finally made it start working as it should. You might spray a few cans of WD on everything that moves on the crane and see what happens... That would be a fairly cheap thing to try.

(Crane is similar but different)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks