• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-531A find

mcii

Well my day sorta busted and I had some time, guess I had heard the MEP number before, but never see read anything on SS about the MEP-531A 2kw set, but after seeing one I now own one. Pretty cool looking set, small and will serve a purpose. But some questions, while it has electric start and pre-heat. does it have its own battery or is it either jump start or rope pull. I didn't take the time to see if just the battery was missing but also didn't see much for a location for one. But I will say, I just don't fancy a rope pull, chain saws and leaf blower is my extent of rope start ability/desire. All comments and experiences welcome on this set.
Thanx much .. mac/mc

Guyfang

Staff member
Mac,

No battery. Jump start, or pull rope. Normally easy to pull start. If it dost want to start, it's probably got air in the fuel filter, or in the hose going from the filter to the IP. There is a thread about this problem. The fix is using a wire tie to pull down the hose a bit. Then the air bubbles don't get trapped in the system. Handy little gen set. Small enough one person can pick it up.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, make sure to set the decompression lever on the cylinder head before you pull the rope, if not, you will not even get it through one compression stroke. I have two of them and they are handier that a two peckered billy goat... Wear hearing protection when around them.

mcii

While I bought it, I didn't pick it up yesterday, I had my dog with me and she didn't want to share space, so ill go back tomorrow and actually pick it up, sans my dog. I shud have time with the long weekend to service it and WOW do a 2kw plus load test. See what it takes to peg out the load meter. But this rope starting business, that Scar59 and Guyfang and releasing the DECOMPRESSION lever, I know that is true, I tried my 831 ONCE, where Scar talks about not getting 1 pull, my Orthopedic doc gave me one of those super long needle Steroid shots in my elbow, I don't want another one ? If this unit shows promise, I can see adding batteries and a starter relay..So let's just see how it all goes, more after I do a receiving report. mac/mc

Guyfang

Staff member
As long as you have something else with a 24 volt system, use a jumper cable. And when the thing runs right, it will indeed start on one pull, using the decompression switch. The 24 model of this set type, is very handy where it's cold. I used it to throw on a quick charge, when we had very cold temperatures, for long time periods. Nice little gen sets.

mcii

Well I did get it picked up, clean as a whistle, 2 hours on it, but is BONE dry on fuel anywhere in the system, not a drop to be found.. I see where Guyfang is directing and cautioning me to lower the fuel line to avoid air bubbles and erratic running. He offers a solid preventive fix for that. I'll do it.. And you gotta laugh where Kloppk rolled it onto his foot/ankle. I thought I was the only one who did that stuff. Anyhow I picked up some fresh diesel and will do a review of hose's and lines and general condition before putting any fuel into the system, all during this weekend, and yes I did try the rope start, it didn't budge till I moved the compression lever, bottom line ? I'm thinking really hard on developing an onboard battery system/charger .. OK more after we get the parade and all these festive out of the way tomorrow.. mac/mc

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look it over good, I changed all the fuel lines on my units before putting fresh fuel in them. Adding two batteries and a charging system would be a tough task. If you do not have a 24v source ( mil vehicle w/ slave cables), fabricate a jumper cable and jump it from to batteries in series. Once run and primed, they start on the first pull.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks