• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 air compressor upgrades and air governor leaks?

DB556

How much faster does this compressor fill your tanks ? Are we talking twice as fast ?
Looks great though ! If you decide to make and sell those adapters I will buy one from you !
I have three NOS compressors for the deuce, but I might just sell them off and buy one of these new "Haldex Tru Flow's" instead.
It does seam to be be more than double the speed, mainly because I think the compressor was on the way out. Once I have more air tanks under the bed. I think I'll be done with this modification. (well once I get the AD9 in)

I might make a few adapters, but it wont be any time soon, I need to get my cnc mill back up and running. My manual mill doesn't have power feeds so it would be a pain.
If you guys think the adapters could be made of aluminum I could make them on my cnc router, that trucks through aluminium.

Now putting the compressor on, If I had the stock filter housing I wouldn't have been able to fit in the compressor, the bearing cover would have hit the filter. I did need 5/8" longer studs.
With the spin on filter I just had enough room once I put in the spacer. I did have to tweak my injector lines so I'm making new line clamps out of some hard rubber to relocate them a little bit.
And I'm going to replace all the copper lines with 5/8" DOT nylon once I get around to installing the AD9, except the coming directly from the compressor which is going to get a braided stainless flex line.
Which will be going to a ping tank I made from a old steel small oxygen bottle.

I'll think about relocating the governor, I mainly had it installed on the head because that how they recommend in the haldex install sheets, that and I only had a few 1/8npt to 1/4 DOT fittings,
I'll see how it goes it it starts getting angry at me I'll swap it to the firewall.

Rusty if you have NOS compressors I would just run them. Now in the future if the NOS single and doubles compressors dry up this could be a good swap, but I think by then most of the multifuels will be gone and we will all be running 6BTs or DT466s which had a gear drive version of these 550 and 750 compressors

I only did the swap because there was some governor and or compressor problems. And this is my work truck I need to use the OBA for took on occasion,
when I don't have the compressor in the back I always have my crane and welder in the bed
(I actually need to make a powered electric cart for the welder so I can get it closer to equipment, or hoist it to second floors, I only have 75' of leads)

And moving my buddy joe's lathe and bandsaw, a very angry light bulb, and the outdoor cat.

Attachments

peashooter

I just ran across this thread, thanks for posting your experience installing the larger compressor DB556. I actually bought one of these a few years ago and besides getting some manifolds for it and painting it green, I have never finished the project... Perhaps after reading this, I never will. I had similar air issues but most of mine ended up being related to a lack of skill backing up my m105 trailer (which I'm still not good at) with the air-o-matic steering that was an air hog until I added a lower pressure regulator to that system.
Here is the link to my larger compressor project: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/peashooters-m109a3-camper-build-thread.108671/post-1839729

Also here is a link to a few posts where I took measurements & pics of the compressor for another member: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...he-other-mods-to-my-deuce.135439/post-1814989

Maybe its time to sell this and get something I actually need (radiator) :)

Attachments

David Daniels

Well I just got the old pump off a few hours ago and couldn't find my 1 1/8 socket so had to go get another after a hour of searching, which means I find it tomorrow in 10 second because if was right infront of my the entire time...

But got the pulley off and I have to ask does the pulley have a keyway or is it just a tapered bore and nut?
I see both pumps have keyed tapered shafts and the pulley has a section of the bore which had a lighter color that could have been a key that sheared off and got polished by spinning on the shaft. Now there was no corresponding section of sheared key in the pump shaft. Or it was just a section of the bore that just looks different because it was cleaner because that is where the keyway on the pump shaft was over and keep it cleaner? from ageing? corroding? somethingering?

Also after taking off the air cleaner on the old midland pump I see there is a 1/2 thread under the cleaner flange so if you want to run a hose for fording and dont want to run it to the cleaner you could take the cleaner off and run a barbed fitting.

Also lifting M35a3 wheels with the crane
where did you get the new pump from?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks