• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 air compressor upgrades and air governor leaks?

DB556

M35a2 air compressor upgrades

Well its like the title says, I think/know my governor is leaking, and I need to upgrade the compressor for more volume.
Why you ask, I have to run some air tools off road soon. If I'm lucky and find a engine powered compressor cheap soon I can avoid upgrading the compressor.

But it would be good to find if anybody has upgraded their compressor, I've found a few older threads that mentions some bendix compressors that might work but the threads seemed to go nowhere and I didnt want to necro.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?48206-upgrading-the-LDT-LDS-air-compressor

There were some bendix part numbers for the tru-flo 550 but looking threw the current bendix compressors I dont see a interchange.

As for the air leak, the last few days I found my air pressure dropping fast after parking, previously I could hold pressure for a few days. Now its 5-6 hours.
I was moving my deuce after painting and let the system pressurize and after I parked and shut the engine off I found I could hear the governor pop off 4-5 times
Engine was off and pressure was just under 120psi when I shut off the engine. So I'm guessing the governor needs replaced, Unless you guys think it another componet.
While I'm at it I have a 24v AD-9 clone I'll add to the system since I'll be running some DOT air line.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The governor is replaceable with NAPA #H284358 that is reported to work fine. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWRH284358

Before embarking on the compressor adventure, would it help to simply add an air tank or two? More volume, more buffer for run time, especially if you do not run high volume without any breaks. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?12659-Deuce-Air-System-vs-3-4-quot-Impact-Wrench

The stock air compressor puts out about 7.25 CFM at 1250 RPM.

In the past, this Bendix Tu-Flow 550 was rumoured to be a bolt-on. http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploads/2/1/9/0/2190100/tf550_service_data_brief.pdf
It delivers 13 CFM. I have no idea if the bolt-on part is true. the base "looks" similar, but without someone actually trying it, it is hard to tell.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
At one time in the past I had these in the Deuce, could open a valve and fill them up to 110PSI. Took a couple of whiles but then I could dump both tanks volume into my 1 inch impact to get any lug nut off, lots of air volume. When filled, then they just held it.
I did not need that anymore to run air tools so hung it in my tree. Very useful, I don't have to buy and maintain high volume compressors for anything I need to do. Runs all my air tools just off a little bitty HF compressor now.
They are power plant instrument-air desiccant tanks.

air tanks IMG_2317.jpg

Reactions: HDN

DB556

After some foot work I got a new governor from my local napa for $16, and I have a EL13060x compressor ordered for more air. The X at the end is important it means the base oil feed version for $360,well thats what the tech guys tell me I'll see if its true once it come in. Also the EL16060x will work for the 16cfm but that was an extra $200 I'll need the extra air for my air/air intensifier to get the pressure up to 1000psi for the harpoon gun.

rustystud

After some foot work I got a new governor from my local napa for $16, and I have a EL13060x compressor ordered for more air. The X at the end is important it means the base oil feed version for $360,well thats what the tech guys tell me I'll see if its true once it come in. Also the EL16060x will work for the 16cfm but that was an extra $200 I'll need the extra air for my air/air intensifier to get the pressure up to 1000psi for the harpoon gun.
Harpoon gun ?!?!?!?
You do know deuces cannot go under water that far right ?

DB556

Harpoon gun ?!?!?!?
You do know deuces cannot go under water that far right ?
You just need to lure them to the surface! If it works on whales, it should work on toyota prius..........

No, I have a bunch of launcher props that I made for movies, quad 50 mount that shoots golfballs, a few harpoon guns,
would be fun at car cruises to fire it off without a harpoon, the burst of air and foosh would be cool.

rustystud

You just need to lure them to the surface! If it works on whales, it should work on toyota prius..........

No, I have a bunch of launcher props that I made for movies, quad 50 mount that shoots golfballs, a few harpoon guns,
would be fun at car cruises to fire it off without a harpoon, the burst of air and foosh would be cool.
Sounds real cool ! We need pictures !

DB556

I picked up the pump the last friday, and its a big boy! And wish I had gotten it installed on saturday, Went to a car cruise.
because on sunday I ended up helping my buddy weld up big crack in the frame of his NPR box truck.Using a air chisel to blow off rust and weld slag sucks down the air real fast with the single cylinder pump.
I need to get some heater hose and run the lines to the ports for the heater for the head cooling lines, this pump has a mount for the governor right on the side of the pump so I'll relocate the governor from the firewall then installed my AD9 clone this weekend!

Well that is if I get a chance(or remember) to swing by the hose and fitting shop and get some DOT air line.

DB556

Well I'm finally going to install the pump today, but I'm debating where to hook up the coolant lines for the compressor,

Should I use the same ports for the personal heater? or another port? I do plan on adding heater later so I was thinking on putting tee's and caps on the air compressor fittings.

It also seem I have two temp senders time to see which is actually hooked up and if there the right ohms for the gauge.

tobyS

How about some pictures?

Don't forget that portable air tanks, like you air up and go use on a tire, can provide you more storage capacity and are cheap. I use them at the ends of long lines in pneumatic locks. I recommend priming the inside as I don't think they are rust-proofed. I'll probably weld in some drains and mount one or two that can be turned off with a valve on my project.

DB556

Well I can start with the pictures now that I'm eating lunch.
I went to the my hose supplier this morning and got a bunch of DOT air line hose and fittings to start taking out some copper. And for 5/8 heater hose for the compressor cooling and some Tee's for future heater install.
Here is picture of the pump And the new tires that I just unloaded from the truck! Cant wait to start the long bed 4x4 work!

Seems I uploaded the wrong photos but Also moving things with the crane and mounting the welder on the truck!

Attachments

Last edited:

DB556

Well I just got the old pump off a few hours ago and couldn't find my 1 1/8 socket so had to go get another after a hour of searching, which means I find it tomorrow in 10 second because if was right infront of my the entire time...

But got the pulley off and I have to ask does the pulley have a keyway or is it just a tapered bore and nut?
I see both pumps have keyed tapered shafts and the pulley has a section of the bore which had a lighter color that could have been a key that sheared off and got polished by spinning on the shaft. Now there was no corresponding section of sheared key in the pump shaft. Or it was just a section of the bore that just looks different because it was cleaner because that is where the keyway on the pump shaft was over and keep it cleaner? from ageing? corroding? somethingering?

Also after taking off the air cleaner on the old midland pump I see there is a 1/2 thread under the cleaner flange so if you want to run a hose for fording and dont want to run it to the cleaner you could take the cleaner off and run a barbed fitting.

Also lifting M35a3 wheels with the crane

Attachments

Last edited:

DB556

Well I solved the pulley key question, no key on the newer large pulley. The "sheared key" was a low light optical delusion.

But I found my first snag, If you look at the first picture from my last post you will see I saw going to use the front water cooling port at the top on the head and the second port on the read lower body. Well once you get the Tu-Flo 550 style compressor in you will see it wont clear the injector lines. So I either have to rotate the jug which brings the lower port close to the pulley or just use both the head ports. Which the haldex manual said is ok but I just don't like.

So I plugged the lower port and just put the barb in the head ports front and back. Now second snag. As these compressors are base fed for the oil, it had a combo end cap with a different oiling ports. If the cap is in position for base oil feed the cap will hit the oil fitter housings before the compressor is even down on the studs.

If you have a spin on conversion it will get down there but hit holding the compressor up about a 1/2-5/8 of a inch so tomorrow I'll pull compressor out and see if I can file it down a little bit on the filter conversion and compressor cap. Otherwise I'll have to cut a spacer plate out of some 5/8" and use longer studs to hold the compressor up over the lip of the oil filter mounts.

rustystud

How much faster does this compressor fill your tanks ? Are we talking twice as fast ?
Looks great though ! If you decide to make and sell those adapters I will buy one from you !
I have three NOS compressors for the deuce, but I might just sell them off and buy one of these new "Haldex Tru Flow's" instead.

Last edited:

rustystud

I forgot to add, you should reconsider mounting your air governor to the firewall instead of the compressor. Most manufactures mount them to the firewall due to vibration troubles. The governors can get "upset" getting vibrated all day long and start to act up. Just my two cents worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks