• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Integrating noco gen2m into MEP-802A

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy Folks,

I read a thread on here that turned me on to the idea of a no.co gen2m charger for my MEP-802A (I already have a no.co gen2 for use in the shop and liked it enough to buy another). I'm curious if anybody has input on how/where/why they mounted it. Hopefully pics.

Cheers,
SJ/JD

Waukesha

I bought one specifically for my 803-A and used the clamps to attach it to the inside of the NATO connector and just rested the charged on one of the batteries. I'll be honest that I don't know how running the unit with it hooked up to the charger will impact the charger, but that's how i did it..

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted no.co's tech team just for the purpose of understanding what the implications of running the charger and alternator simultaneously would be. I've had better responses from their tech folks on other questions in the past, so my hunch is the rep that took my email was newer (a lot of copy pasta that was only tangentially related IMHO). But, I digress.

The one bit I did glean: that same diode they have in there that prevents the charger from draining the attached batteries when unplugged (but still connected to the batteries) will probably be sufficient to protect the no.co charger itself. What it means for the alternator... I still don't know. That no.co charger isn't a source of one, constant "kind" of charge. It varies output based on what it 'sees' in the batteries. Sometimes it will deliver more amps, sometimes "no" amps and more voltage, ...

My plan to deal with this is to have the outlet where the no.co plugs in on a circuit that is not fed by the MEP-802A I have. That way, when the generator kicks in to deal with an outage, I don't have to think (as much) about it. When I want to test the generator, I need to have the no.co manually disconnected.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least some of the NO.CO chargers seem to be aimed towards the boating/RV crowd for keeping the house batteries charged up. I know of very few boats/RVs with house batteries that don't also have some provision for charging the batteries in the vehicle while operating and not just when plugged into shore power, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
That being said, I've never bothered to unplug the charger while running generators or vehicles and haven't had any issues from it.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I spoke with NOCO before going with the 8A Gen M2, they told me that the charging element should not be powered while the machine is running, simple as that. Thats why I have the external plug setup on mine. Just unplug the NOCO as I walk around the machine, before hopping up on the trailer to start. Just part of the procedure now.

FloridaAKM

I agree with this line of thinking & always disconnect the power & the charge leads from the batteries before starting the genset & truck for that matter. It guarantees I am not destroying the charger by putting a heavy load on it when the starter engages.
When I spoke with NOCO before going with the 8A Gen M2, they told me that the charging element should not be powered while the machine is running, simple as that. Thats why I have the external plug setup on mine. Just unplug the NOCO as I walk around the machine, before hopping up on the trailer to start. Just part of the procedure now.

Zed254

Light in the Dark - I think you posted a nice recharging setup awhile back, but I cannot find it. Please point us to it if it has proven itself out.

smokem joe

Use a relay with a 120v plug on the other end. A 24vdc coil relay and a plug are all you need to automatically shut the charger off as soon as the prime position gets turned on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks