• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1993 M998 Antenna Mount Identification?

Jon_Gilbart

Hello, all. I've been looking for a while to find out what kind of antenna's were originally mounted on the back of my 1993 M998. I want to restore it to as close to the original look and functionality as possible, but have no idea what went here. First off, I don't know squat about HAM radio or any other radio for that matter, so please keep the technical jargon at a low level. I purchased an AS-3916/VRC antenna spring base to mount on the driver side rear. I'm assuming that is one of the options that can be mounted there originally, but I have no idea what's supposed to go on the passenger side rear antenna (?) mount. Any thoughts? I saw a really good write-up on this site about converting an AS-3916/VRC base to be used with a CB, and thought that I might do that, but my main goal is to get it looking stock. And if I could then get it working properly as well, that would be great, too! Just don't know squat about radio stuff right now... Thanks for any advice in advance. -Jonathan

s-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

D6T

The frequencies that the antenna would be resonant at are known as VHF low band. There are not many services remaining there in use overall. You may find some remnants of fire/EMS paging, emergency management, or utility companies. It’s not likely that you could use the antenna for monitoring much in your area.

In other words, outside of a CB antenna, it’s likely to be not of much use.

To make it able to work as a CB antenna, you sure can make the conversion that you mentioned.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many options depending on which radio and era. The most commonly seen are the AS3900/VRC which is the wider fiberglass 2 piece than the single steel mast. Both the AS3900 & AS3916 are for the sincgars radio families. The later models are typically harris/ shakespeare units.

The mount on the right is the beefed up version with reinforcement as the one on the left was the original style and found to be too weak, easy to rip off or damage fender.

They all take the universal 4 bolt nato pattern so is what ever you like and can find is my answer.

DREDnot

Mine came with one mount and I added a second.
I found the bases and, what one guy called "high survivability" whips at various sources. They were about half the going price of the cooler fiberglass units.

DSCN8521.jpg

DSCN8523.jpg

I think these are the ones that convert best to CB use, but I haven't tried.
They are easy to remove with a collet that holds the steel whip in place. 1/8 of a turn and they slide out easy to park in a garage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks