• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m170spare tire mount and bar

CPDOG

hello again to all:

I am looking for the spare tire mount / bar for M170 Jeep. hard to locate, I know.
or does anyone have access to a dwg (whether original or not) or does anyone now of someone who had these bars fabricated up and still have the bend radius chart available?

thank all of you for reading!

jasonjc

hello again to all:

I am looking for the spare tire mount / bar for M170 Jeep. hard to locate, I know.
or does anyone have access to a dwg (whether original or not) or does anyone now of someone who had these bars fabricated up and still have the bend radius chart available?

thank all of you for reading!
Did you ever find any thing on this??

CPDOG

Did you ever find any thing on this??
Hello Jason
I did find a guy who made these but when I got it was off by 3” on each end and the height was off by 1 1/2 “. So cut it in 3 areas to fix the length and replaced the 2 center pieces with taller ones, after that it fits very nicely, I have attached pics for you too. This M170 is a challenge for sure😀😀

jasonjc

Hello Jason
I did find a guy who made these but when I got it was off by 3” on each end and the height was off by 1 1/2 “. So cut it in 3 areas to fix the length and replaced the 2 center pieces with taller ones, after that it fits very nicely, I have attached pics for you too. This M170 is a challenge for sure😀😀
I don't see your pic's. Do you have any measurements and do you know what size the pipe is? Are all the thing made with pipe on it the same size? I.E. the bows, the handle on the dash, the tire rack .
Thanks

CPDOG

I don't see your pic's. Do you have any measurements and do you know what size the pipe is? Are all the thing made with pipe on it the same size? I.E. the bows, the handle on the dash, the tire rack .
Thanks
Jason
I will look at those tonight and get back with you repost pics too, I didn’t know you were looking for any measurements initially, talk again soon

CPDOG

Jason
I will look at those tonight and get back with you repost pics too, I didn’t know you were looking for any measurements initially, talk again soon
hello again Jason,

ok all tubes for seats, front support bar on dash for litter, tire mount bars and the bow rails are all 1" tubing, this time i am loading pics from home computer vice the phone so i believe we will have a more success this time. also i found another site with the tire mount dimension and they are there for other to use, it might assist you , it definitely did for me when i had to re-do the mount that i got,........ http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modu...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php .......... once you log in, reenter this site address and then it will take you straight to the tire mount dimensions he posted, also there are other m170 data there too. lastly, i threw in a few more pics of the restoration to show how crazy it got, we even had a new gas tank made as the new old stock tanks are just fucking ridiculously priced, and then we raptor lined the whole inside,,,5 gallons worth:):) the windshield we had to buy a new one and then re-weld all m170 parts back on to it, the tailgate was the same situation they don't make them so we took the original and painstakingly transferred all dimensions to it and did fit ups with the litters and got it to work fine, the seat cushions we had made and got the thickness dimensions from the floor ribs width and we also had to have 2 seat springs made up too, these things are cushy1607565341840.png :):):) anyways good luck to you.

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonjc

hello again Jason,

ok all tubes for seats, front support bar on dash for litter, tire mount bars and the bow rails are all 1" tubing, this time i am loading pics from home computer vice the phone so i believe we will have a more success this time. also i found another site with the tire mount dimension and they are there for other to use, it might assist you , it definitely did for me when i had to re-do the mount that i got,........ http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modu...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php .......... once you log in, reenter this site address and then it will take you straight to the tire mount dimensions he posted, also there are other m170 data there too. lastly, i threw in a few more pics of the restoration to show how crazy it got, we even had a new gas tank made as the new old stock tanks are just fucking ridiculously priced, and then we raptor lined the whole inside,,,5 gallons worth:):) the windshield we had to buy a new one and then re-weld all m170 parts back on to it, the tailgate was the same situation they don't make them so we took the original and painstakingly transferred all dimensions to it and did fit ups with the litters and got it to work fine, the seat cushions we had made and got the thickness dimensions from the floor ribs width and we also had to have 2 seat springs made up too, these things are cushyView attachment 820426 :):):) anyways good luck to you.
Nice work!!! Thank you so much for the info , it seems to be hard to come by. I see on a lot of site's M-170 question go unanswered.

CPDOG

Nice work!!! Thank you so much for the info , it seems to be hard to come by. I see on a lot of site's M-170 question go unanswered.
Hello jason
You are correct on the reply issues. Be sure to share your m170 , these are hard individuals to play with, so all tricks / ideas are most welcome

parrottt

In the last month of so I have somewhat restored my M170, which my research shows was a Marine Corp Radio Jeep. All the parts back of the dash are almost impossible to find. As for the seats I used the passenger seat for the M38A1 on the drivers and the passenger side. Found the cushions and covers on ebay. The cover is made out of the same material that is used on canvas commercial awnings. I was not trying to make the restoration original but just to look good (15 foot or moving rule). Mine is an everyday, weather permitting, driver here on my farm in NC. I did find a way to convert the oil bath oil filter so I could use a Wix paper filter.

Good luck with the M170, I have had good and bad luck, but worked through it.......

Attachments

CPDOG

In the last month of so I have somewhat restored my M170, which my research shows was a Marine Corp Radio Jeep. All the parts back of the dash are almost impossible to find. As for the seats I used the passenger seat for the M38A1 on the drivers and the passenger side. Found the cushions and covers on ebay. The cover is made out of the same material that is used on canvas commercial awnings. I was not trying to make the restoration original but just to look good (15 foot or moving rule). Mine is an everyday, weather permitting, driver here on my farm in NC. I did find a way to convert the oil bath oil filter so I could use a Wix paper filter.

Good luck with the M170, I have had good and bad luck, but worked through it.......
hello parrattt
was that kinda of a kit there? please share some part numbers for the material if you have them available....thanks!!!

parrottt

hello parrattt
was that kinda of a kit there? please share some part numbers for the material if you have them available....thanks!!!
Wasn't a kit. I found a post on one of the military vehicle sites some time back and lost track of where Sergeant Major of the Gee posted it on the site.
I replaced the guts of the oil bath air filter. I ran across the post on the internet about replacing the guts with a NAPA Gold 2036 air filter and putting two “Fluidmaster Better Than Wax 5.5 inch Wax-Free” Commode floor gaskets (from Lowes) on the top and bottom of the canister. It fit and worked perfectly. I used a section of automobile ac/heat tubing to connect the carburetor to the filter.

1610547278682.png 1610547357373.png 1610547375477.png

A story about restoration is on the Kaiser Willys site under Barn Yard Restoration 1 and 2
Hope this helps
Parrottt

CPDOG

Wasn't a kit. I found a post on one of the military vehicle sites some time back and lost track of where Sergeant Major of the Gee posted it on the site.
I replaced the guts of the oil bath air filter. I ran across the post on the internet about replacing the guts with a NAPA Gold 2036 air filter and putting two “Fluidmaster Better Than Wax 5.5 inch Wax-Free” Commode floor gaskets (from Lowes) on the top and bottom of the canister. It fit and worked perfectly. I used a section of automobile ac/heat tubing to connect the carburetor to the filter.

View attachment 823334 View attachment 823335 View attachment 823336

A story about restoration is on the Kaiser Willys site under Barn Yard Restoration 1 and 2
Hope this helps
Parrottt
hello!
thank you for responding, very cool mod, i am going to look into it as well.

jasonjc

JASON HERE IS THE NAME OF THE FACEBOOK PAGE TOO: Willys M170 Jeeps 1953-1963 TYPE IT IN AND SEARCH IT:):)
I'm signing up for it right now thank you

Just got approved for the Facebook group. Thanks for the info. Like all your posts on there.

Last edited:

CPDOG

I'm signing up for it right now thank you

Just got approved for the Facebook group. Thanks for the info. Like all your posts on there.
hello Jason, thank you! i am doing more this week on individual things we did during the rebuild, see you on there. i just found new in the original wooden crate: heater kit and a new in the original box snorkel kit. see you later

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks