• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer jack on MEP-803a

cdgrogan

Hello everyone. My trailer jack for MEP-803a mounted on a trailer does not move up or down. Figured take it apart and see why. Took the roll pins out and from what I can see the gear that lays flat inside is spinning but the shaft it’s attached to is not moving. Assuming there is a roll pin in that gear that fell apart but I can not pull that gear up at all. Does anyone know how to get that gear out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdgrogan

It’s pulled out enough and I removed the vertical gear too. Looks like it should come straight up and out but not budging.

Guyfang

Staff member
The darned thing is supposed to be non repairable. Its only been 9-10 years since I did this. Try using a brass drift. Punch it in the middle of the shaft, where it goes into the gear.

cdgrogan

I tried that too Guy. I was think of running a weld right across the top to join the gear and shaft but would rather leave that as a last resort.

Guyfang

Staff member
No dont weld it. It comes apart. Its just been so long ago, I cant remember. Let me think about it. I also seem to remember Call me Colt fixed one not long ago.

Guyfang

Staff member
On the lower part of the Jack, is there a bolt and lock nut? For some reason, I seem to remember removing the bolt, and then simply go turning the crank until the Jack foot fell out on my foot. It may be my flea bitten old brain confusing it with another style jack.

cdgrogan

Guy there is no bolt but I went back to try driving that shaft out with a punch and with a lot of persuasion it started to move. What I found was the pin was broken in 3 places which is why the gear spun and the shaft did not. Also the square threaded block that the shaft moves up and down was rusted to the shaft and is probably why the pin broke in the first place. Freed everything up, lubed it up and replaced the pin. Everything works perfectly again. Thanks for the help.
58428543374__2669D736-127D-4BA3-9B28-B5417F5331D4.jpg58428774765__06582E55-7F39-42DD-B9F8-9832C725D3E2.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks