• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AF Blue M35

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Does anyone have any good pictures of 50s' to early 60s AF blue tactical vehicles. All the tactical vehicles we had in the USAFSS mobile units were blue from 58-64 as I remember them. I see some AF blue trucks on the net with "US AIR FORCE" on the hood, I never saw any blue AF TAC vehicle in any command with that on the hood except jeeps cause they did not have hard doors so the information normally on the doors was on the hood. In the 6927th RSM we had at least 25-35 vehicles most were 5 ton tractors used to pull our trailers. The 6932nd and the 6917th vehicles were blue too.

I know I said I was done monkeying with this old stuff. But this time I am really going to quit Clinto.......after this last one honest......RIGHT.. 80 is to old to crawl under this stuff....

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can get Fifty to send pictures of his M38 in Air Force trim. We know it's colors are correct, he has the full history.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I don't have any M35 pics or anything bigger than the M38A1 jeep that you know well with markings from the spec ops unit on Ft Benning.... Basically what you did.....only newer.....because you are old....well....older than me.

Want me to post some pics of "Lady Maria"???

Also, good to see you posting again, I thought maybe you had stood your "final watch".

Last edited by a moderator:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't have any M35 pics or anything bigger than the M38A1 jeep that you know well with markings from the spec ops unit on Ft Benning.... Basically what you did.....only newer.....because you are old....well....older than me.

Want me to post some pics of "Lady Maria"???

Also, good to see you posting again, I thought maybe you had stood your "final watch".

Still kicking PB. Just that crawling under the old truck is more of a challenge than it was a few years ago. Pics would be helpful if you could.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
As I remember the markings on the 6927th RSM trucks at Onna Point, Okinawa in 58-60 they looked something like this:
(this truck is a 1971 so it will be mark as a 71)

doors:

US AIR FORCE
71K xxxx
FOR OFICIAL USE ONLY (SMALLER LETERS)

front bumper markings: (as viewed from the front of the truck)

USAFSS (left side)
6927 RSM

TRK (right side)

We had TP 50 above the tires

And that was about all we had. Nothing on the fuel tanks etc.

I will be doing this truck as a 1971 deuce as the 6927th was disbanded in late 1971 and the troops and other stuff was sent to and combined with the 3rd field ASA unit at Tory station on Okinawa. In those days all the spook units worked for the same boss so we often had joint operations along with USAFSS,ASA and NSG operations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Security_Service

For you military history buffs there is an error in the wicki page. The first AN/FLR-9 was installed and operational at the 6917th RGM at San Vito in Italy not Japan. I know this because I was in the first class of electronic techs trained on the FLR-9 at Goodfellow AFB for maint. of the system. We then went to San Vito and assisted with the installation and did the rest of our year and a half assignment there. We were operational in the fall of 63.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I am actually kind of surprised it took you this long to do a Strata Blue truck. :mrgreen:
It just took a long time to get to it. We should get to doing your van some day.............or better yet you should take my M818 camper van off my hands. In the pics the van is still on the deuce it now has a M818 5 ton under the van. The 5 ton fits perfect as far as spacing for wheel position etc.. The old deuce frame you see sitting on the ground beside the truck I used to extend the 818 frame so the rear bumperettes were positioned where they should be.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The long term plan for my AF truck is to paint it strata blue with white lettering. Most of the old missile trucks were painted that way. Our step vans were also painted strata blue/white letters. There’s a missile truck on display at FE Warren’s main gate in strata blue/white. I’ll be at the base come the 18th or 19th of this month. I’ll try to remember to take pics for you.

Killer_Junior

It just took a long time to get to it. We should get to doing your van some day.............or better yet you should take my M818 camper van off my hands. In the pics the van is still on the deuce it now has a M818 5 ton under the van. The 5 ton fits perfect as far as spacing for wheel position etc.. The old deuce frame you see sitting on the ground beside the truck I used to extend the 818 frame so the rear bumperettes were positioned where they should be.
I believe I saw that setup right after you hoisted it onto the 818... used a guy's logging truck to hoist it, right?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any good pictures of 50s' to early 60s AF blue tactical vehicles. All the tactical vehicles we had in the USAFSS mobile units were blue from 58-64 as I remember them. I see some AF blue trucks on the net with "US AIR FORCE" on the hood, I never saw any blue AF TAC vehicle in any command with that on the hood except jeeps cause they did not have hard doors so the information normally on the doors was on the hood. In the 6927th RSM we had at least 25-35 vehicles most were 5 ton tractors used to pull our trailers. The 6932nd and the 6917th vehicles were blue too.
I know I said I was done monkeying with this old stuff. But this time I am really going to quit Clinto.......after this last one honest......RIGHT.. 80 is to old to crawl under this stuff....

A previous thread here with some pics.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?40185-Strata-Blue-Deuce-Pics

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Well after a long slow cleanup I finished the strata blue paint job. It seemed to me it is a little harder to get good coverage with the blue than other trucks I have done over the years in camo, Army OD or Marine OD. Darn painting is all about good lighting so I have a little touch up to do with the little touch up gun. I will post some pics in a week or so. Will wait a good month before adding the AF markings. Do not want to lift some of the paint when I remove the paint mask deals.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I did find a very nice Strata Blue truck on the net a couple of weeks ago. It belongs to Graf's collection. He has some very good MV items. It looks to be a earlier M35 gasser. Lower mounted headlights etc. The markings are just about as I remember them in the late 50s-60s, nothing but the basic markings.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to to paint my Air Force truck strata blue in the near future. It’s on my list of stuff to do. I’ll get to it sometime this century...

Well after a long slow cleanup I finished the strata blue paint job. It seemed to me it is a little harder to get good coverage with the blue than other trucks I have done over the years in camo, Army OD or Marine OD. Darn painting is all about good lighting so I have a little touch up to do with the little touch up gun. I will post some pics in a week or so. Will wait a good month before adding the AF markings. Do not want to lift some of the paint when I remove the paint mask deals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks